The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has a studio (Home or otherwise)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of studio do you have?
Home-based
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Professional
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nothing at all
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

~frank

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travst wrote:
~frank wrote:
Good to see you've become a penguinista.

Do get TuxGuitar.

I'm running Suse on a laptop. I never thought about looking for music software for it. Now I'm curious...
Tux Guitar is pretty good notation software. Plus it knows several of the commercial software formats (Guitar Pro?)

It's got some weirdnesses, but it's great for transcribing stuff.
CrazyChester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been recording for about 20 years. Started with 1/4" then 1/2" tape. When DAWs came on the scene I tried a pair of Tascam Digital recorders that recorded to 8mm tapes for a 16 track setup. This format was high maintenance but not bad quality. Then I tried a Yamaha AW4416 recorder which has based on the yamaha DA 01 digital mixer with flying faders. Not bad but the format was not compatible with anything else and the FX were a bit weak. Then I went to computer software recording using Apple Logic Pro. Its the best setup that I've had so far. I have a number of decent mics but nothing spectacular. (A GT Tube Mic, a Rode Tube Mic, a couple senheisers, a Shure Condenser mic, Some AKG 1000s, Many Shure 57 and 58s and their Beta versions and 2 Shure Beta 87s and a AKG kick drum mic)
I've had a lot of clients including Blues, Rock, Jazz and even brass choirs and Dixieland bands. Most of my work is with demos though I have a few tunes available on iTunes by a group called Dungeons and Drag Queens. (Meat is Cheap, I Can't Get Off and The Gash Ain't For Me) that was an interesting project.
Little Bit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am a live sound-y I have a simple home recording rig.
Nuendo software that I run on an older 1 ghz dual processor computer.
Motu 8 channel, Mackie 24 2 Bus mix.

I also have a Urie 1176, an Altec 436 B, a G.E. BA 5A, 2 Fairchild de-essors, 3 CBS limiters, a Gates Solidstatesman, a Decca Record Company Stereo Limiter Type P as well as some cheap-o delays, reverbs, compressors and this 30 lb odd ball White 42 band E.Q.

Shure 57's and 8's, a few 545's, an EV RE-20, PL-9's, 635's, 664, DO56, DS34's, 652 and a V-1 ribbon, a RCA MI-6203 ribbon (which still needs fixin'), AKG 3600, 2 ND 257's, D 1000, D 190 ES, Altec 632C salt shaker, a 681A, 685A, 683A (Sintered Bronze Filter) some PZM's, a couple Sennheiser 421's, a 609, 407 (electric shaver version of the 409), a Beyer Soundstar (Klingon disrupter), a RCF (Italian) that looks like a baby D-12 and a Naiant referance mic.

I have some other mics that are broken or sound crappy but I keep them 'cause they look so dang cool.

I should own a large diaphram condenser and maybe a few pencil types as well.

A fellow like me just can't own enough mics.
RayRay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"

Last edited by RayRay on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcreeves88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Bit wrote:

A fellow like me just can't own enough mics.

Couldn't agree more.

Have you ever found yourself mic'ing large/higher wattage tube amps? If so, what mics did you find worked well? I need something that will keep up with the lower frequencies I tend to chase without getting farty. 57's have worked well for me, but can't seem to get them to retain the bassy punch that I like. I've even considered grabbing the D112 of my bass drum and giving that a try in an ambiance mic position. Any thoughts?
twangster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royer 121 and Coles 4038 mics are the best for keeping that low " air movement" sound in tact. Both very spendy. Keeping the amp sound a tad cleaner than the sound you have in mind works too. Passing that front end punch on a guitar sound to the recording is one of the toughest things.

Bass tends to build up in corners of a room , ambience mics can sound good pointing away from the source into a corner.
dcreeves88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mics you can think of that are a little less pricey? Believe me, I'd be all over those if I could, but that's just a little too steep for me at this point. Also, the sound of the amp is usually very clean. It's a twin reverb, so dirty really isn't an option until I kick a pedal on.

Good idea on the ambiance mics though. The rooms a pretty unusual shape, so I'll have to figure out where I get the most build up. Great advice, thank you.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find a used Beyer m160. That would cost about half or less of what the Royer or Coles would cost.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an Apex 205 ribbon, take out some of the inner grill mesh, upgrade the output transformer to a Lundahl, Cinemag or Edcor, make sure the ribbon is tensioned properly or even reribbon it and end up with a very nice ribbon mic for ~$200.

People mod out cheap Chinese-made microphones, preamps, compressors, etc. like others mod cheap Chinese-made guitars, amps, etc. There's a large online community at Group DIY for that kind of stuff and there are lots of great old units you can get, restore or mod.

I am also a big fan of the SM7 as a utility mic for a home studio.
dcreeves88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tangle. Good call on the Beyer. After some reading I learned that it was Hendrix's go to mic and Bonham used it on When The Levee Breaks, possibly my favorite recording of him ever. I can probably get my drummer to go in on it with me too, making it that much cheaper.

@kojdogg. I was completely unaware the people modded mics to be honest. Thats awesome news to me anyway. I think I'm going to give the Aphex a try, it's a cheap enough mic to where I wouldnt feel bad or nervous busting the thing open.

Thanks everyone!
bildo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an M-Audio 4/10 into Pro-Tools 8. And also use a Guitar Port into rifftracker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: