The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Members Advice Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: New Members Advice Thread Reply with quote

Guys, I moved the 10 simple rules list to the FAQ section. Believe it or not I get alot of emails from newbies about their accounts and other related subjects. MArk put together a great list and I am going to reference here and make this a sticky up top with a link to the FAQ section. If there is anything you want to add to that list feel free to post it here, I'll make sure it ends up there. I also want to apologize b/c I moved the thread and it was supposed to leave a shadow of that thread here. I don't know what happened but it didn't take place for whatever reason.

New members, please review this section first.
Houndog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, when I read Mark's thread, I made it a sticky, but I was thinking it would be a great idea to have it at the top of every section. I'm sure most newbs don't even look at the menu any further down than the section they want, so they never see the FAQ area. Having it at the top of every section, it can't be missed! What do you think? Cool
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I title it "Friendly Forum Advice for New Members" Read this before you ask. and then post the 10 things Mark wrote on each section as a sticky and a link to the FAQ section. I get a ton of emails saying I read on the FAQ section about you not getting notifications when a new member has joined..... so I know alot actually do read that section.
Houndog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Anything that will catch their attention will work! Wink
Crox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

Whilst we're on this subject and especially after reading Mark's list, I've always meant to mention this, there appears to be no link to ReRanch 101 from any of tyhe forum pages. Unless I'm miising it Smile

If I want to go to RR101 I click on the link at the bottom of Tom''s (Structo) posts.

Maybe there should a big logo at the top for instance The Guitar ReRanch Logo on the top left links to the forum index maybe it could be 101.

Just a suggestion.
Crox

,Headstock overlays, Aged Hardware Pre-wired harnesses. Mojo Pickups
www.croxguitars.com
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crox, for some reason Bill took it down when someone else posted it. I do not remember the exact reason for it but I recall him deleting the thread. I will check with him on it to see if he minds if there's a link to it.
Phadreus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice addition to the suggestions would be: "Include the Location information in your Profile". I see guys asking for help from guys in their region all the time, and they don't specify their region. Just a minor annoyance I guess... Wink

I wouldn't be afraid to show my feminine side...if I had one...
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised noone has mentioned books yet. The library has lots of guitar and amp related books and if one branch doesn't have it they will bring it from another.
Crox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phadreus wrote:
Another nice addition to the suggestions would be: "Include the Location information in your Profile". I see guys asking for help from guys in their region all the time, and they don't specify their region. Just a minor annoyance I guess... Wink

Mark I totally agree. This has always been annoying, not even knowing which country they are from. The Location section in the membership profile It should be a manatory field that must be completed before membership is allowed. I had a pm from a new member recently wanting price and shipping for some goods. I assumed he was UK and so quoted in £GBR and UK shipping, turned out he was US.

Also it would be nice, but not mandatory, for new members (and old) to introduce themselve in the Avatars and Identites thread. I like to respond to a post or PM by using a real name where possible. If someone has a user name of say PRZYK1234. it sounds odd if you want to use this name in informal dialogue. It's not so bad where people use nicknames like mine ,Crox, because it's short and easy to remember.

www.croxguitars.com
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, No problem. Add it if you want. I don't remember taking down the RR101 link. Thanks as always, Bill....
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I think I'll put it up Bill.

BTW, sorry I missed your B'day. Happy belated. Wink
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suggested this before, but if it is possible to move the FAQ section to the top of the forum directory page, it might catch the newcomers eye easier.
Being at the bottom I think it gets overlooked.
I think when they first visit they simply go to the first refinishing section because that is usually where their first questions are.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Crox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
I've suggested this before, but if it is possible to move the FAQ section to the top of the forum directory page, it might catch the newcomers eye easier.
Being at the bottom I think it gets overlooked.
I think when they first visit they simply go to the first refinishing section because that is usually where their first questions are.

+1 Smile

www.croxguitars.com
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
What if I title it "Friendly Forum Advice for New Members" Read this before you ask. and then post the 10 things Mark wrote on each section as a sticky and a link to the FAQ section. I get a ton of emails saying I read on the FAQ section about you not getting notifications when a new member has joined..... so I know alot actually do read that section.

You could always call it "Flame Retardant Information" Wink
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Daisy221

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there! I am Daisy from Alabama and newbie here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: