The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New amp build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Types
head/cab
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
combo
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
2-12"
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
4-10"
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
wood finish
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
tolex
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
cane webbing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
traditional grill cloth
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

indianjjy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: New amp build Reply with quote

I am getting ready to build another amp. I have a 15 watt class A chassis just waiting for me to do something with it. It has 3 - 12ax7 tubes for the preamp and power end is 2 - el84's. It has a gain switch and also I will install a reverb unit. The question is build a 4-10" combo, 2-12 combo, or make it a head/cab unit. Also should I do the enclosures in a destressed wood finish, new oak stain wood finish, or tolex. also cane webbing or standard grill cloth. help me out bros... I was leaning towards a 4-10 combo, but ..... As info, I have 5 yards of lavender tolex,? Confused ? If I was to go with lavender, I would use oxblood grillcloth...
indianjjy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: amp Reply with quote

First time doing a poll, I don't know if I did it right or not, let me know...
Travst

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did it right... you have to vote yourself to see the results.

I voted for a 212 combo. I think the 410 would be a monster to move around if you're gigging. If you're going to move it around a lot, go with a head/cab.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What circuit do you plan on building?

As far as speakers, I suppose I would go with something I don't currently have.

The only problem with your poll is, you can only vote for one things. Wink

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
rhardman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4-10 stereo Marshall cab: most versatile cab I have ever owned.

you can run it a 2/ 2-10" cabs with two heads @ 8ohms or mono @ 4 or 16

Finish...depends on if you flight case it or not...

I prefer to use separate heads...my pro reverb is like trying to move a ton of bricks.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan on using it; playing out, or as a nice playable piece of decor?

I think wood & cane are a great combination. I also like head/cabinet set ups.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I would love to be able to craft something like this.

I think it is so cool and is a great piece of art.
It wouldn't even have to sound good. I'd just stare at it and marvel at the cool lines it has. Ark Amps http://www.arkamps.com/Home.html

Guitar Amp Repair
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:

That amp is super cool.
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
Someday I would love to be able to craft something like this.

I think it is so cool and is a great piece of art.
It wouldn't even have to sound good. I'd just stare at it and marvel at the cool lines it has. Ark Amps http://www.arkamps.com/Home.html

That doesn't look that hard to make. Might have to buy an acoustic side bender for it. The knobs may be tricky. Beatiful amp though. I have been thinking of redoing my danelectro housing, I might try something like that.
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AC15 & it sound SOOOOOOO much better hooked up to the 2x10 vs a single 10.
It fills the room with the 2x. Has a much bigger sound. And it's better for clean tones - you don't have to turn it up to be heard.

As for speakers: I have to recommend a Weber alnico Blue Pup paired w/ a Weber Silver 10.

I think Roland will agree.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solemn13 wrote:

That doesn't look that hard to make. Might have to buy an acoustic side bender for it. The knobs may be tricky. Beatiful amp though. I have been thinking of redoing my danelectro housing, I might try something like that.

Yes, I'm not sure how thick the bent piece is.
Somehow it has the look of a solid piece of wood that is carved into that shape but I'm sure it's not.
Still a cool looking amp, kind of what the Jetson's would plug into.

Probably have to use kerfing on the joints like a hollow body to give it any strength. Wink

Stew Mac makes premade kerfing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Acoustic_guitar:_Kerfed_lining_strips/1/Kerfed_Guitar_Linings/Pictures.html#details

Guitar Amp Repair
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would do well, I was thinking of routing a lip into the front and back and gluing to that then sanding flush. Might do the lip and kerfing. I have some flamed maple and red heart that would look great together.

I think a head and cab would be a good idea for your new build. It makes moving things around alot easier and you don't have to worry about tubes rattling... You could always make it a piggy back where the head fits into the back of the cab for storage/moving. Thats what my Dano was starting out.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wood was steamed and bent to shape. After the face and sticks we glued up it was carved & sanded.
indianjjy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: amp Reply with quote

Tom, the chassis that I have is a NOS Palomino V16, never been used. I am kind of leaning towards a head/cab combo because I have 4 4 ohm Eminence 'lil buddy speakers and I need a 16 ohm output for the amp. I think I will try to incorporate some sort of spaceage or non-conventional design, maybe retro- oddball, but definitely a cane or oxblood grillcloth. I do have some 1937 grillcloth that is just amazing,when I get home from work tonite I will take a pic and post it here, very,very retro lookin...I think you guys will like...
CrazyChester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
solemn13 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure how thick the bent piece is.
Somehow it has the look of a solid piece of wood that is carved into that shape but I'm sure it's not.
Still a cool looking amp, kind of what the Jetson's would plug into.

Probably have to use kerfing on the joints like a hollow body to give it any strength. Wink

Stew Mac makes premade kerfing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Acoustic_guitar:_Kerfed_lining_strips/1/Kerfed_Guitar_Linings/Pictures.html#details

Looks to me like he laminated a few pieces of wood to get the thickness then cut the insides out with a band saw to create the top/sides piece. He probably cut and glued a flat bottom piece to complete the curved top/sides part. Then laminated the front with his different types of wood to get a flat piece for the front and glued the front to the top/sides and finished by flush trimming with a router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: