The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

refinish or start anew
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissident10x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: refinish or start anew Reply with quote

i just bought that strat used. it was 375 bucks, a real steal for the '57 RI (retails for over 1250). the only problem is that its the same old bland strat. the body is scratched and smelles like weed, there is duct tape resiude, etc. i love a good sunburst, so i think i'm going to try a honeyburst. i'll probably work in creme oickup covers and knobs, white pickguard, replace the bridge humbucker with a bill lawrence single coil. my question is this:

should i strip the body and refinish or buy an entirely new body and finish that. keep in mind that the guitar is black, and that finish doesnt come off easily. a body would cost 160 dollars. ive never done any of this before, could someone please give me some tips on which direction i sould go in? how are the quality of the generic strat bodies on stewmac or warmoth? thanks
docbass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a new body and put the black one up on eBay. Some things just aren't worth the work involved, but I'm just being lazy!
32203miracle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for Stew-Mac but the Warmoth bodies are very good quality. I like their bodies and necks.

If it were me I would clean the strat up as best as I could and play the heck out of it. I would buy a body and make it my pride and joy -- but that is just me. They can be a pain in the a&$ and be time comsuming to strip.
dissident10x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm leaning towards buying a new body. the only original parts i'll end up with are going to be the middle pickup and neck! whatever.
Hofner5006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a new body and keep this one for relicing, trying out different paint schemes...etc., I have 2 Jazz bass bodies and the one is my lab rat that gets all of the experimenting. $375 though...nice!
zippy lee iskowitz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that presuming it's an American made reissue, although it's made of Alder, the pieces may not match up well (the prettier wood is set aside for the see-through finishes), and once you get it stripped, it may not be the best candidate for a sunburst. You could always get a Fender 57 reissue body in 2 color burst, but that's going to cost you what you paid for the guitar. Maybe $50 less.
dissident10x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've got a huge dilema about this

ive got my les paul, and as far as i'm concerned it will probably remain my main guitar for life. i play a lot of blues, but rock is my forte. with the jcm 800 ive got, les paul is definately the way to go.

this year i started looking at strats. as i said, i play blues, and there is ntohing better for blues than a good strat. i looked at G&L's for a while. the basic Legacy, basically a strat, would run me about a grand. i wasn't too concerned paying that because G&L guitars are the best playing strats ever made, in my opinion. if you don't know anything about G&L, check them out: www.glguitars.com

i was about two days away from ordering my legacy, when i saw the ad for this guitar. 375 dollars. hard case included. i wasn't too posative i wanted to buy, but decided to go check the guitar out anyway. i got to the seller's house (it was a private sale) and he didn't have an amp at the ready, i think it was in the shop. there were a few guitar shops about a block from his house though, so i took it in there and played. sounded great. i went back yesterday to give it one more try before i bought. i went into one store pretending that i owned it, and asked how much the guy in the store would give me for it. he said 400 dollars, and that is one of the stingier stores around. so i decided to buy the guitar, my theory being that if i dont like it, i can turn around and re-sell it for more than i bought it at.

and that is where i stand. i think the G&L is a better guitar, it would be new, made to all my specifications. ive been calculating prices and weighing options all night. there are four options ive got, the way i see it.......

option 1) Keep guitar as is. maybe replace the bridge pickup and bridge down the road, but for the most part keep it the same. total cost (with set up) would be anywhere from 60-200 depending on the pickup and bridge i would install.

option 2) Keep the guitar, but repaint and refinish the body to a sunburst. I would then reassemble the guitar, and do everything listed in option 1. I have no idea what painting will cost, i anticipate somewhere around 50-100 dollars using the reranch cans.

option 3) Sell the body and assorted parts. i would keep the neck, order a replacement body, paint it. do everything listed in option 1. This would cost me somewhere between 200-300 dollars to get a new body and paint it, plus 60-200 for stuff listed in option 1.

option 4) Sell guitar, buy a G&L. That will cost me 600 dollars (1000-400 I make off selling the guitar)

Regardless of what I do i'll be rewiring the thing to give me more pickup selecting options, and replacing the knobs and pickgard. rewiring will cost me a bit in supplies (maybe 30 bucks, no big deal). Right now, I am leaning towards G&L. I think I'd rather pay the extra to have the pros make me a guitar rather than try to do it myself. anyway, tips, ideas, whatever, all appreciated.
billy bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the tremolo for your LP? i need a black one!!!!
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Your option 1 sounds the most attractive since you already own the thing with no additional costs added. Option 4 is the same as if you just went out and spent the 1000 bucks from the get go. Wink
To me Option 2 & 3 are gonna cost you up the most w/o changing the pups you mentioned, a refinish 100 bucks, another $300 + the rewiring you say you'll do, another $30.00. Plus you say you'd rather buy a pro setup than rather build one yourself.

Whew!
Option 2&3:

$375. guitar
$100. refinish
$300. pups
$ 30. wiring supplies

Even if you sell the body another is about 300 bucks and you'll have to try to get somewhere near that for the one you have to buy a decent finish wood body, good luck with that.

IMHO, I don't think you really should have bought this strat. At this point I'd be happy with what I got or simply buy the G&L and sell off the strat.
dissident10x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know still. ive been asking on a bunch of other forums. i think what i'l do i repaint the existing body. it will be fun, it will be my own. i'll replace one pickup and do some rewiring, possible replace the trem. all in all, i think it will cost uner 200 dollars.

and i got the trem for my LP at www.elderly.com
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you got a nice ax there and if you're looking for that strat type of guitar for blues, I'd say you have one. Enjoy it man, make it your own and have fun tinkering with it to your specifications. It's worth the efforts. Good luck. Wink
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad is the finish?

I like option #4. You seemed pleased with a G&L and I heard nothing but appraise on G&L.

But I would try to restore the '57 reissue Start as much as possible like get a set of original Fender pickups (yes, this will cost you and may defeat the purpose of trying to save) and clean the guitar with naphtha (tape residue) and polish the guitar back to try to get a good selling value.

But then again, that's me, I see that the next and bridge pickup are not stock (Dimarzio is my gues) and I'm into restoring, and keep those pickups for another guitar project.

If you plan to get into refinishing guitar body, I would start with a bare body. That 57' reissue Strat probably has polyurethane and stripping it is a chore of its own.

So again, is the finish really bad condition? Maybe I would change my choice option.
SG Lou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on replacing the body check out Stew-Mac's new pre-finished Strat bodies. You have your choice of either quilted or curly maple tops and 4 different transparent color choices. I just got the latest catalog and they look sweet !

...Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Oscar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more than happy to take that body off your hands... think about it this way... you can use that money to buy a finished body and all you would have to do is bolt the hardware back on. Simple!

Open Your Eyes
dissident10x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'm going to buy one of those stewmac bodies. i looked at them a few weeks ago. the tobacco burst looks nice, as does blue burst. now ive only got to decide if i want blue burst and gold hardware or tobacco burst and chrome. decisions, decisions. oh and a note: the pickups are as follows

bridge - little '59 humbcuker from duncan. not a bad humbucker, not great though. i'll replace it. i think i'm going to use a bill lawrence pickup as a replacement. i also have the original pickup, but ive heard great things baout lawrence
middle - original
neck - joe barden s deluxe. this one is awesome. the previous owner shelled out 130 bucks for it. fat, fat tone. i'm keeping it

oscar - i would be more than happy to sell you that black body. My digital camera's battery died and i wont be able to get you some pictures until 24 hours from now. i'll give you a rundown of what it looks like though.......

seems to be residue from some tape on the back, and a little by the input jack. there are some small scratches you can see in light. little lines here and there, pick marks. the pain is waring at the very top, where your right arm would rest when playing, along the edge. you can see a bit of wood, about an inch or so. it seems to be still finished there though. it smells a bit like pot from its previous owner. ive owned it for 3 days now, and the scent is very faint now, i think it would go away soon. the wear where the wood is showing looks nice, honestly. not sloppy, but worn. it needs some cleaning, a good polish and maybe something more. that's about all i can say though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: