The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tube amp vs. solid state
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g6120

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Embarassed

i decided to place a avatar on this site this morning and after doing such i walked away .

i guess i should have checked after doing so but looks to be ok now .

keep pickin

g6120
Dobie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as a former owner of the original spider 112, it did the job for a while I and sold it. You should look at these amps from Peavey. I got a Valveking head thru a 4-12 and it will rattle your rib cage! $400 bucks new from guitar center (sorry haters, they give me deals on electronics).
Your looking at combos so you should try one out if theres a GC/Peavey dealer nearby.
I always run pedals for my head. I only used the spider for practise.
If you go solid state, go Tech 21. (small problem with a friend of my on his Tech 21 2-12 combo is that it blows fuses at high wattage)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=peavey+valveking
Dobie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, after looking at the combo, it got like 2 stars and the head got almost 5 stars. Hmm, you may not want the combo. Sad
Dobie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, You can't run a processor thru a modeling amp like the line 6 spider.
I tried running a digitech GNX4 thru it and it sucked on every model of the amp. Go the tube route if you plan on running an effects processor thru it. JIMO
serviviente

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a good used tube amp! If not buy a classic 30 or 50 by peavey. That amp kicks butt! Don't worry so much about watts, just crank your amp to that sweet spot and mic a 57 in front of it that should do it. I have no use for a SS amp, i only have one life to live!
RobHale777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Valvetronix - Vox really nailed it with this amp. I have the AD120VT, which they quit making (why? dunno.) but you can still get the AD100VT for around 500 bucks I think... Beautiful mating of tube and solid state modeling circuitry. Definitely try one at your local music store, and be sure and play it as LOUD as you plan to play on stage. Don't mind the other patrons, they'll survive.... Laughing

R

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/robhale777/
Structo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, it's what you are happy with and what your ears like.
Don't just buy a tube amp because they are cool and everybody is jump'in on the tube band wagon again.
In the 80's it seemed as if a lot of acts were using SS.
Except for a lot of the blues artists. Wink

More dependable on tours and cheaper......

I'm glad I bought my tube amp(s) but I have an old Peavey Century (100w) head that just keeps on a truck'in and it works the best of all of them with a modeler (PODXTL) in front of it. Cool

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
ID Crisis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tube lovers don't take this wrong. I love the sound of a good tube amp, no argument there. I have been gigging with SS amps for the past 25 years. I am on my second amplifier in this 25 years. I went from a Peavey 2 12" Renown to a Peavey Bandit 112. The only reason I switched was I am getting older and wanted something easier to haul around. The Renown I bought is still in use also. Sold to one of my son's buddies.

I know that there are lots of old tube amps out there too, but I have played gigs where my bandmates tube amps literally went up in smoke, started making weird oscillating noises, static, or just plain failed. My solid state amps have yet to let me down. (Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself).

As far as tone goes, I'm sure a tube amp is going to be warmer. But I'm playing for wedding dances, fund raisers, occasional bar gigs, and street festivals in a band with a horn section, another guitar, keys, drums, bass, auxiliary percussion. If I were a solo artist, I might think differently. For me I want a decent tone, reliability, and I can fit it in my van with all the other equipment and carry it in one hand.

Hope I didn't make any enemies with this. Wink I'm just sayin'...
CaptainCrunch

Location: Where Black is the color, where none is the number.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold steady to the belief that tube amps have better dynamics, or interactive "feel", or what have you. But in terms of sound, I double dog-dare anyone to go 5 for 5 in the "Folger's Challenge" between a tube amp and quality solid-state. I also personally prefer moldering old tube amps, because I like to tinker.

For reliable gigging on a budget, SS is pretty hard to beat.
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID Crisis wrote:
Tube lovers don't take this wrong. I love the sound of a good tube amp, no argument there. I have been gigging with SS amps for the past 25 years. I am on my second amplifier in this 25 years. I went from a Peavey 2 12" Renown to a Peavey Bandit 112. The only reason I switched was I am getting older and wanted something easier to haul around. The Renown I bought is still in use also. Sold to one of my son's buddies.

I know that there are lots of old tube amps out there too, but I have played gigs where my bandmates tube amps literally went up in smoke, started making weird oscillating noises, static, or just plain failed. My solid state amps have yet to let me down. (Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself).

As far as tone goes, I'm sure a tube amp is going to be warmer. But I'm playing for wedding dances, fund raisers, occasional bar gigs, and street festivals in a band with a horn section, another guitar, keys, drums, bass, auxiliary percussion. If I were a solo artist, I might think differently. For me I want a decent tone, reliability, and I can fit it in my van with all the other equipment and carry it in one hand.

Hope I didn't make any enemies with this. Wink I'm just sayin'...

That Renown didn't start cutting out and making weird noises? I had 2 different ones do that over about a 15 year span.
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I'm NOT a SS player. I've owned nothing but tube amps all my life, but............... this was recorded on a Line 6 Flextone III by my good friend Arlo West:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvSMuJ650c

I recently played this amp for myself and have seen him use it live and it has absolutely SWEET tone. He programmed the the patches for it himself after deciding that he wasn't happy with what it had to offer initially. This is a pretty good example of what can be done with SS amps if you work at it!

I'll stick with tubes for myself right now (I'm still seriously in lust with my Allen Encore), but if I was going to go SS this would be the way to go. He offered to give me a copy of his presets. I can't tell ya how tempting it is!!
ID Crisis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote]

That Renown didn't start cutting out and making weird noises? I had 2 different ones do that over about a 15 year span.[/quote]

Nope. I bought it in '82 and gigged with it until 2000. It spent a good part of 13 years in a trailer parked in a garage except for weekend gigs and never let me down. Sounds like yours may have had dirty pots?
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID Crisis wrote:
marksound wrote:
That Renown didn't start cutting out and making weird noises? I had 2 different ones do that over about a 15 year span.

Nope. I bought it in '82 and gigged with it until 2000. It spent a good part of 13 years in a trailer parked in a garage except for weekend gigs and never let me down. Sounds like yours may have had dirty pots?

I don't know. One was mine and the other was my buddy's. They did exactly the same thing and to make them quit you had to bang on them with your fist, making the reverb tank go ::sproing:: Laughing They're both long gone now.

But holy crap, those things are loud. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: