The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tube amp vs. solid state
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lchyi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the TM10. I just got one and I love it to death. It's an exceptionally good practice amp and would do wonders in a recording studio. I actually was fortunate enough to snag it for 100 used on Craigslist.

I also had bought a Tech21 Power Engine 60 (clean power amp in a combo format) earlier for a multi-efx pedal (apparently supposed to do wonders for those too) I had and now I just plug my Tech21 TM10 into the PE60... bam! Instant mini stack!

My only complaint is that it is less clear than my Twin or Deluxe. HOWEVER, I also think that the Fender Hot Rod series is in the same boat and not very clear also (that's why I sold mine). Try something like a Line6 Flextone you'd be surprised...

Don't think of SS as a compromise, think of it as great tone but with less breakable parts. Yea it sounds a little different that traditional tubes but SS amps are not subpar in any stretch of the imagination.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had replied to this before. But I guess it was lost in the ether zone............................
Although it was a lengthy, post I will abbreviate it here.
I am 49 years old and although I am not a professional musician, I have played guitar for 34 years. Specifically, electric guitars.
After own a couple SS amps that I thought sounded pretty good I finally bought a new tube amp.
A Carvin Belair. ( $600 then, $660 now)
A 50 watt combo with two Celestian V30's.
There are some mods that I will do, such as the clipping diode mod and the tone stack mod...................
But, what I find with this amp although I am not currently gigging with this amp, is that it is a totally more dynamic or touch sensitive amp. More nuances.
This amp is way loud and as such you don't need to turn it up past the growl much, unless you want to annoy the neighbors.
I have a Line 6 POD XTL that I used to love with SS amps.
I have yet to plug it into the Carvin.
Between the clean channel and the distortion channel (soak channel) I have so many choices in tone between the pickups and volume , tone controls.....................
It screams when you want and is subtle when you want.
I will never go back ( did I say never...) to SS amps.
Although I gigged succsessfully with a worship team that used two Bose PAS sytems, plugging my POD XTL straight to the board, I have fallen in love with my tube amp.
My wife compliments that I play with more feeling now!

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
j_son

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing for about 14 years. I started with SS, then went to tube (Crate VC3112, Dean Markley Half stack) and back to SS. The only real difference, to my ears, other than some warmth, it that the tube amp is better at "breaking up", but I had to crank mine up pretty high to get that type of sound (and after the tinnitus set in, that stopped). I do hear differenence in high end/vintage tube amps though, but those are $$$$$. I only play at home now, so my Fender frontman 25r and Boss Blues drive get close enough (need to get my pedal modded though for a more seamless transition between clean and dirty). Roland Micro Cubes are fun to play around with, if you wanted a small practice amp too.

It depends on what you'll be doing, where you be playing....

If I was going to buy another tube amp, it would probably be the Peavy Classic 30 though, FWIW.
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: tube amp vs. solid state Reply with quote

DELETED
Structo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tube amp vs. solid state Reply with quote

Specialty Guitars wrote:
GibsonLPdood5150 wrote:
Dirty Fingers in bride.

hmm...
You pervert! Very Happy

Guitar Amp Repair
lchyi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I forgot to say.

While I love my SS amps because they're good for what they do. I still love my 75 Champ and my Twin Reverb RI but they're exceptionally good at what they do also.

For me:

Practice = SS, low volume, great tone, awesome recording
Jams = Tubes, nothing like blowing out the competition with scorching tubes.
Live = Toss up. SS is less moving parts and when the drums/bass/lead singer kick in no one's going to notice the tone difference IMO. Flipside is that I'll never gig without my TRRI personally, I know that amp the best.
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is tubes. I was playing an Eden WT-800B that kept blowing speakers. Eden replaced four speakers and I paid for the amp fix for both channels. I trust it now. In the meantime I bought a high dollar Eden VT-300B tube head. I looked at the Ampeg SVT-CL but it weighed 85 lbs. The Eden weighs 55 (still heavy).

Tubes fill without being loud. I don't know why. Since buying the Eden tube the SS Eden has been sitting at home for about a month. Our guitar player told me today he can't believe how much better I've become as a bass player in such a short time.
petermco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for tubes.

Ultimately it all comes down to tone. I've played through a lot of amps over the years - good, bad, ugly, cheap, expensive, you name it. You just can't beat that tube sound - and you get a much louder amp for the equivalent watt rating with a tube. I play through a Mesa/Boogie DC-5 these days and I don't plan on switching.

One other recommendation I have for either a tube or SS amp - make sure it has a 12" speaker. The sounds is substantially better than from a 10".

My 2 cents.
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, you simply have to listen the great blues players to hear the tube sound live.
Take Stevie Ray, he can go from a whimper to a growl without touching his amp (that's what I call a good distortion). And good artistry.
Depending on the amp and volume control.
I simply can't state emphatically how much more dynamic a tube amp is,
Meaning you are so much more in control you are of your sounds...........
God Bless Tubes! Very Happy

Guitar Amp Repair
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Structo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,
Would you mind explaining tube sag, especially with a tube rectifier. Confused
Being a recent re-convert to tube amps I would be interested in knowing about this.
I sure love the growl I get out of my Carvin Belair. Very Happy

Guitar Amp Repair
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S/G and "Sag". Thanks for the link. The scary part is that I understood a lot of that.
Little Bit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of vacuum tube compression.

The plate voltage goes down during demand thus lowering the output at the signal peaks.

You can make it happen with a diode rectifier as well by adding a pair of 25 watt, 150 Ohm wire wound resistors.

I like tubes simply because they glow.
That mysterious color which visually confirms that fascinating things are happening on the insides of the box.
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: tube amp vs. solid state (modeling amp) only $500 to spend Reply with quote

I think GibsonLPdood5150's post's subject line should have been tube amp vs. solid state (modeling amp) only $500 to spend

Here's is original post:
GibsonLPdood5150 wrote:
alright. i have $500 to spend on an amp. i have a similar post wanting new amp rec. that i was unclear about. I was considering a Line6 Spider II 112 solid state but im getting a boss pedal board to handel the FX department. i play classic rock (AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.) and punk (blink 182, Sum 41, NOFX). i want a good sounding Classic Rock Distortion sound yet a nice clean sound. i have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard thats heavily upgraded...Gibson Dirty Fingers in bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 in neck, Grover tuning keys, push-pull coil tap, Schaller straplocks. I was reccomended a Peavey Classic 30 tube but is it worth the changing of tubes. The changing of strings is enuff. im reserching the tube topic and wanted to know if yall could answer some ?'s......

How long do tubes typically last?

How much do tubes cost?

Could a solid state achieve the tube sound w/o empting my wallet? (remember all i have is $500)

Spider II or Classic 30 or other?

thanx 4 the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: