The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tube amp vs. solid state
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GibsonLPdood5150

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: tube amp vs. solid state Reply with quote

alright. i have $500 to spend on an amp. i have a similar post wanting new amp rec. that i was unclear about. I was considering a Line6 Spider II 112 solid state but im getting a boss pedal board to handel the FX department. i play classic rock (AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.) and punk (blink 182, Sum 41, NOFX). i want a good sounding Classic Rock Distortion sound yet a nice clean sound. i have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard thats heavily upgraded...Gibson Dirty Fingers in bride, Seymour Duncan '59 in neck, Grover tuning keys, push-pull coil tap, Schaller straplocks. I was reccomended a Peavey Classic 30 tube but is it worth the changing of tubes. The changing of strings is enuff. im reserching the tube topic and wanted to know if yall could answer some ?'s......

How long do tubes typically last?

How much do tubes cost?

Could a solid state achieve the tube sound w/o empting my wallet? (remember all i have is $500)

Spider II or Classic 30 or other?

thanx 4 the help.
32203miracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long do tubes typically last?

According to how much you use it. I have had mine a year now and play probably 4 hours a week. I have not had to change the tubes yet.

Quote:
How much do tubes cost?

According to which tubes you buy, but you can expect to spend between $125 and $150.

Quote:
Could a solid state achieve the tube sound w/o empting my wallet? (remember all i have is $500)

You probably could get the sound you want in a solid state. It is a matter of preference.

I notice you are in Atlanta. There are plenty of music stores around the metro area. Find you one and try them out to see what gives you the sound you are looking for at the price you can spend. Where in Atlanta are you and maybe I can recommend a store.

BTW --- I like my Classic 30 but that is just one voice.

I have heard both good and bad about Line6. Again its all a matter of opinion.
eb2jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: the old tubes Reply with quote

For guitar, I would go tube, at least to have one good old one for recording or looking at. For bass I prefer SS, although the best sounding amps I have ever played bass through were Ampeg tube combos like the B15, B18 BASSAMP.

That being said, I haven't played regular gigs in years and if I had to get a rig now, I would go SS. I would do that for guitar as nowadays you can get a pretty flexible loud light amp with lots of built in stuff and modeling circuits that get close to a tube sound. They are cheaper and easier to load into a car or haul up and down stairs, some look like old tube amps and I wouldn't cry if some puke ripped off a Fender Chorus. And most importantly for a rock gig with distorted stuff, the sound in most clubs from most bands is sh*t. Even if you had the best tube rig running just right, the sound in a club gets wrecked by the sound guy or gets eaten up at the back of the room.

For recording, I'd want a nice old tube rig, and if I had lots of roadies, then sure.
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 50 people answered which amp they recommend, you probably would bet 50 different answers.

Take 32203miracle's advice, go to a Guitar Shop and tell the salesperson your requirements: "Classic Rock, versatile and I got only $500 to spend."

Then try them all within your requirements, then select which sounds best to you.

But if a Peavey Classic is under $500 (I think it is) then another vote for Peavey Classic.

My friend has all these "affordable" boutique amps (Buddah, Zinky, Dr. Z), some classic amps '65 Twin and traded or sold off some classic and still hitting his head against the wall, (M/B Mark II, JTM45 Blues Breaker, Blue Angel ... he loved these amps but thought his next purchase was going to be a better amp), and one modeling amp Vox Valvetronix,

he will not part with his Peavey Classic 30. Its a keeper for him.
BILLYL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fender Deluxe - Hot Rod - you can get one for around $450 or so - great amp.

Plenty of sound
statorvane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second BILLYL's opinion. Hot Rod 1-12 is a great amp. Wish I could afford one.
manguitar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Peavey Black Widow Mace, VT Series, bought new in 1979. Still has the six original Sylvania 6L6 tubes. It will peel paint from the walls if I want to crank it. This amp is 160 watt RMS into two 12" speakers. It's a combo amp. It has a digital preamp and a tube power amp. I will not get rid of this amp. You can find them on Ebay sometimes as combos or sometimes as cab versions. Many of them have been well used but ocassionally there'll be one in really good condition, like mine.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Peavey Mace the preamp was FET and not digital preamp. The word "digital" sounds too much into rack mount gear or modeling amps not vintage amps.

I remember those, I think Lynard Skynard's "One More for the Road" live album has them on the cover. (please correct me if I got the title wrong).
manguitar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe you are right that L. Skynyrd used the Peavey Mace amp. What is, "FET?" Sorry, I probably should know but I don't.
willett

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 isnt alotta dough for an amp so start. so solid state.
tubes have a nicer sound. so tube.
you can expect a tube to carry you about 4 years.
blink 182, and sum 41 are not punk. so solid state
nofx isnt really punk either. so solid state.i guess.
all-in-all $500 will get you a nice used ss in the 200w neighbourhood, and it sounds like the sound of the amp isnt a big issue for you.. your young and stupid like me and just want POWER Twisted Evil
if i were you i would go for an SS amp.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend has a tube amp that will rival some of the boutique models based on reviews - the old one was called the Hellhound, and the new one is called the Kingsnake. New, they're a bit out of your range, but see if you can find a used one to try. If you win the lottery, try a Dr. Z. Otherwise, the Peavey Classic, the Hot Rod, and some of the Crate tube amps are pretty good for the money. I really think most tube circuits sound much nicer clean and respond better to pedals - sorry to generalize, but I have to get back to work now... Wink
strazman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: fender tubes Reply with quote

i just got a blues deluxe tweed off ebay for $400.00 (the best)
adjason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like has been said-try a bunch of amps to get a feel for them- but I would go with a fender tube amp-there are some for around $500
maxnew40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the Line6 spider it really is the low end of the Line6 product line. I don't have a problem with Line6 stuff in fact my main amp is a Line6 HD147. The Flextone III, Vetta , or HD147 as well as XT Live I think are the ones with all the most modern software and hardware. They get better each time they release a new series. However they are above your budget.

I have a Peavy Classic 50 head that I paid about $300.00 for that is really a pretty good amp as long as you don't want to play metal.

Godd luck on your search.

Max
Paul Clark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOr that money, you should get two amps.

One solid-state analog Tech21 Trademark 10 or 30 (depending how much volume you need, whether used is ok). This will give you 99% of the tube warmth, howl and scream you'll ever want. The 10 is great cause it bucks and roars like a rabid tube amp at low volumes without getting the cops called- fantastic for recording. The 30 will give you enough juice to gig with drums.

On looking around, I was shocked to see the TM10 is discontinued- too bad as cool little amps for recording are my fave. still, i can see why most buyers would want 20 more watts for 50$, and the TM30 is the same physical size. Still, if recording is your thing, and you want the ability to crank it all the way up but keep the volume low, it's worth looking for used one on ebay.

Price:
TM10 (10 watts) $400 list, $250 street (zzsounds)
TM30 (30 watts) $450 list, $279 street (musiciansfriend)

info:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm10.html
http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

TM10 sound sample:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/TM10.mp3

TM30 sound sample:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30_sounds/Trademark_30.mp3

Then with the remaining $200, cruise ebay for some weird raunchy old tube amp like this Holiday I found for $125:

Reliable? No! Clean sounding? No! But cool as mudflap and really fun to get that real true tube tone on those days when you just want to hear it. It has very limited volume and with the stock tubes it ain't distorting, not for nobody. But within its narrow range, it's better than anything.

IMHO the idea of having only one amp is like having only one guitar- fine if you are really really committed to one style, one venue, one playing situation. But life is varied, and having multiple guitars and multiple amps is a good idea- because practicality and nostalgia vary as far as which one is most important on any partticular day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: