The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finish Options Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

See the pic in the thread below that shows an Ash body with solid color and no grain fill. I am considering the same thing, but with a Strat, solid seafoam green with a parchment picguard
Don't Grain Fill ... the grain pattern will be cool with the seafoam green
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Grain Fill ... it will look terrible with the grain pattern showing
86%
 86%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 29

emiller160

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Finish Options Poll Reply with quote

See the pic in the thread below that shows an Ash body with solid color and no grain fill. I am considering the same thing, but with a Strat, solid seafoam green with a parchment picguard

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=21365
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate it. Very Happy
Craig_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why some folks like the more 'natural' look, but I'd always wish I'd grain-filled.
SonicJaguar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, It's different... And we're always looking for something to change things up. I say go for it. The worst case scenario is you go in and grain fill it if it repulses you. You might love it.
Kregg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain, oil rub, or waxed finishes without filler looks nice, but, I'm not a fan of unfilled grain under paint. I've been kicking around the idea of using a traditional Japanese method known as jin-di-sugi with a chunk of cypress I've been aging. Of course I'm not burying the wood like the ancients did; instead I'll burn and wire brush the wood and follow it up with an ebonizing technique.
fenderfool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought the black bass with red highlights actually looked pretty cool with the grain showing, but the I think the seafoam green would just look unfinished...I'm not really sure why, just a gut feeling! Confused
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenderfool wrote:
Thought the black bass with red highlights actually looked pretty cool with the grain showing, but the I think the seafoam green would just look unfinished...I'm not really sure why, just a gut feeling! Confused

I agree that the bass with it colors used kinda worked, but not with SG. YUCK Shocked Shocked Shocked
Myndseye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea of using a traditional Japanese method known as jin-di-sugi with a chunk of cypress I've been aging. Of course I'm not burying the wood like the ancients did; instead I'll burn and wire brush the wood and follow it up with an ebonizing technique.

We need to see pic's of this process!

<@>
Structo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bass that Low End did.
I suppose it depends on the color on whether or not it looks ok.

So I vote grain fill on Seafoam. Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I vote, I'd like to see the grain pattern on the body your using. I would think that a wide grain pattern would look better than a real tight one. But overall I would only skip grainfill on a clear finish or some type of oil finish as mentioned before. However, I have to admit that I'm interested in seeing it.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
emiller160

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the front (what you will see) and the back

Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing it. Worse case you strip it or grainfil over it if possible if you don't like it.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
That's a great looking guitar, almost too nice to cover. Perhaps a semi-transparent finish or a burst?
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MINDSEYE wrote:
Kregg wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea of using a traditional Japanese method known as jin-di-sugi with a chunk of cypress I've been aging. Of course I'm not burying the wood like the ancients did; instead I'll burn and wire brush the wood and follow it up with an ebonizing technique.

We need to see pic's of this process!

<@>

I just picked up a super light plank of cypress, I couldn't believe how light and tone rich it was. The grain will cut so deep it'll probably look like plastic. I'll start a new thread when I gear up for the build. I have a few tweaks to go and my workshop will be back on line.
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't grain fill it, you'll get two reactions, "Wow dude, that's so freakin' cool! I'm gonna' ask my dad to get me one just like it!", or, "Wow, how lazy can you get, it looks like he bought some wood from a lumber yard and spray painted it! It looks like something my kid would ask me for." That would make a great 2 tone burst, save the solid color for a less attractive body. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: