The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Strat (pics)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should Gilmod be?
Sparkley New
80%
 80%  [ 25 ]
Aged
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

Kregg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: The Black Strat (pics) Reply with quote

Okay, this is Gilmod, my kicked up version of David Gilmour's Black Strat.
I'm in a holding pattern ... I'm trying to decide ... do I go for a mild relic or do I polish this thing like a mirror?

Last edited by Kregg on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
sinnerboy61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good relics start out as a nice mirror finish... Cool
Kregg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poll added
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep that thing shiny. Looks too good to tarnish it now. Play it for 20 years and it'll get beat up.
rickenfender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaid Sabbath wrote:
Keep that thing shiny. Looks too good to tarnish it now. Play it for 20 years and it'll get beat up.

+1.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a landslide Sparkly New it is!
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted shiny new BUT if you want it to be a true Gilmour tribute it does some significant wear. I'd play it hard and let it ding naturally. I wouldn't be too careful where I placed it so it would get nicked up. JMHO. Two of my basses are already getting some visible wear from playing them and traveling with them and I try to be careful when I handle them. Go figure.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, After I read The Black Strat book I was inspired to build a black strat that would make DG & Phil Taylor proud. To get the bowl rolling I Found a super light one piece alder Strat body at Warmoth. The next issue was whether or not to copy Sir Gilmour's circuitry. His Black Strat has been changed so many times I think it was the original "Frankenstein" of guitars. I decided to use Dave Schecter's versatile assembly with an HSS pickup that can tap the bridge to a single coil. The guitar also features a Callaham bridge with a 4 1/8 Gilmour trem arm.

Here's a link to the book written by DG's guitar tech: http://www.theblackstrat.com/The_Black_Strat-home...html
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find a pickguard like that?
I don't believe I have ever seen one with a slanted humbucker route.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimlours strat was actually a CBS era strat bought at Manny's Music after thier gear got stolen. Yep, that thing has had more pickup and neck swaps than any other guitar I know of from that time. It probably is the original Frankenstein as you said. Anyway, I think it looks great and you did a fabulous job replicating the escenece of his guitar. Keep it as you like it, shiny, reliced whatever. Just play it brotha. Very Happy Congrats on a fine job.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
Where did you find a pickguard like that?
I don't believe I have ever seen one with a slanted humbucker route.

Dave makes them, but, he only sells them as prewired assembly's. I love his stuff. http://ozoneguitars.com/
The humbucker's actually two singles wire side by side, the front splits to a single coil.

I have one of his units with a Tele bridge in my Oly as well.

I usually wire my own gear, but, when I saw Schecter's stuff I had to try them, they are great.
Cymbaline

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickenfender wrote:
Plaid Sabbath wrote:

+1.

+ 1 more. It'll relic on its own in time. Enjoy it while it's new!

BTW, that bridge pickup is interesting. What is that? An angled humbucker or just two single coils next to each other?

EDIT: Just saw the post above. That slanted humbucker is pretty cool. I've got my own Gilmourcaster (see my avatar) that I'm playing the heck out of.

Do you plan to put a decal on the headstock?
Kregg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymbaline wrote:

Do you plan to put a decal on the headstock?

Yes ... they look naked without decals. But, I only like Fender logo's on what they make, so, I made a variation for my personal builds.

Kregg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
Gimlours strat was actually a CBS era strat bought at Manny's Music after thier gear got stolen.

I was amazed when I read the book. It started off as a black strat with a white pick guard, fender 67-69 era pick-ups, CBS headstock and rosewood board. Over time Gilmour routed out the cavity and fitted it with a humbucker, put in a mini-toggle, changed to a Kahler trem bridge (then back), shortened the trem bar, and carved an XLR socket into the side. The guitar has had six different necks, various tuners, Dimarzio PU's, and currently Seymour Duncan's.
What's next? This is why I named my version, aptly if I may, Gilmod.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
Joeglow wrote:
Gimlours strat was actually a CBS era strat bought at Manny's Music after thier gear got stolen.

I was amazed when I read the book. It started off as a black strat with a white pick guard, fender 67-69 era pick-ups, CBS headstock and rosewood board. Over time Gilmour routed out the cavity and fitted it with a humbucker, put in a mini-toggle, changed to a Kahler trem bridge (then back), shortened the trem bar, and carved an XLR socket into the side. The guitar has had six different necks, various tuners, Dimarzio PU's, and currently Seymour Duncan's.
What's next? This is why I named my version, aptly if I may, Gilmod.

Yeah, that things been bastardized more times than he remembers. haha. But he's got the sweetest tone!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: