The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Went into Rockler and Woodcraft today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these dyes for my A&D body?
1) Red / Red back
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
2) Cordovan / Cordovan back
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
3) Green / Green back
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Red / Medium Brown back
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
5) Cordovan / Medium Brown back
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
6) Green / Medium Brown back
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

yugnat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Went into Rockler and Woodcraft today! Reply with quote

I went into Rockler and Woodcraft today looking to choose a dye for my new A&D body (maple/maple neck) - I was like a kid in a candy store, the Woodcraft is a new location and is right by my house. It was nice to see they had samples of the dyes on pieces of curly maple - they definitely look different in person compared to online. The red stood out and popped the most to me, the green looked nice, and the surprise was the cordovan - a very, very dark purple. I can't make up my mind between these three - also whether to do the back in the same color as the top or do it in a medium brown. The one sure thing was how nice the honey amber looks (for the maple/maple neck) - I purchased a bottle. Please vote and/or comment. Thanks!

Here some online samples and a couple pics from my camera phone (you'll never guess which one is cordovan on that sample board!):

Structo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish they had a store near me.
Portland might have one but it costs me $35 to drive up there anymore.
That is great that they have actual samples of the dyes on maple there.
As far as color, I guess I never understood taking a poll for color choices since the owner is the one that has to live with it.
You know what I did to mine.
I think a multi color dye, or dye and sand back always looks killer.
Yours is a quilt where mine was a flame or fiddleback, so it could require a little different technique.
But I think that a darker background with a lighter dye over the top always looks amazing and adds depth.
Great looking body as most of Dougs are. Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
RayRay

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
I think that a darker background with a lighter dye over the top always looks amazing and adds depth.
Great looking body as most of Dougs are. Very Happy

The difficult thing for me to understand is with these 3 color choices, how would you coordinate the dark/light arrangement? I mean..the cordovan LOOKS somewhat dark...so what would you use on top of that after sand-back?
...I guess you could use a BLACK to accent the grain and IT back and THEN follow it up with a lighter version if any one of the 3? Am I on the right track here?
Sorry...didn't mean to hijack.. Embarassed

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
yugnat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo - I know what you mean about the polls on color choices, I just like to hear feedback to keep my thought process going... it's good for me to hear things from other folks when I get stuck making a decision.

I planned on doing a sandback - but I thought it was also possible to do it using just a single color. Apply a coat, sand back, apply another coat of the same color - I would think you could still achieve depth due to varying shades from overlapping instead of having to use a contrasting color. I know it doesn't set the figuring off the same way as contrasting colors but would it not look good? I like the colors as I saw them on the maple samples - I'm not sure how I would like that red say if it was overlapping a brown sanded back...
SRV09

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a cherry burst type dye job with a medium brown back. That would be sweet.
~frank

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say red/tobacco (which I believe is TransTint Dark Mission Brown). But the red needs to be really clear. Maybe sand back the red to lighten it except in the grain lines. That curly maple is going to be KILLA!
yugnat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~frank wrote:
I'm going to say red/tobacco (which I believe is TransTint Dark Mission Brown). But the red needs to be really clear. Maybe sand back the red to lighten it except in the grain lines. That curly maple is going to be KILLA!

Are you saying mission brown on the back and sides instead of medium brown?

Have you seen those Transtint samples Frank? Their red reeeeally looks good in person - and its such a nice compliment to their honey amber that will be on my one piece maple neck!

Also FYI to those looking at Transtint - watch out for the regular 'amber' it's a yellower version thatn "honey amber" which is what you really want to use for necks. I almost got them confused just going by the names on the bottles on the shelf.
~frank

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yugnat wrote:
~frank wrote:

Are you saying mission brown on the back and sides instead of medium brown?

Have you seen those Transtint samples Frank? Their red reeeeally looks good in person - and its such a nice compliment to their honey amber that will be on my one piece maple neck!

Also FYI to those looking at Transtint - watch out for the regular 'amber' it's a yellower version thatn "honey amber" which is what you really want to use for necks. I almost got them confused just going by the names on the bottles on the shelf.
No, the Rockler I went to (SW Freeway & ~Kirby?) only had postage stamp size sample colors on paper. I bought the dyes I thought I wanted and also bought a 2"x24"x1/8" piece of maple that was approximately the shade of the neck I was going to dye. I used that to experiment on. Later I bought other colors from Joe Woodworker (aka Veneer Supplies) online.

I agree about their ambers. The Honey Amber is a perfect dye for a vintage look neck. It's an exact match for the color SX tints the poly on their "vintage series" copycaster maple necks and I believe it's the same shade as StewMac Vintage Amber. The other TransTint amber is way too yellow.

I'm guessing about the Mission Brown. I was thinking the red would look so saturated that the Medium Brown wouldn't give enough contrast, but Medium Brown is a lot redder than Mission Brown and that would probably be a good thing.

So is Cordovan the 4th sample from the right on the board that's lying flat on the cabinet? That might be an interesting back for a red top but it might go a little weird. Monitors and cell phone cameras being what they are, I would only trust it if I saw it in person.
yugnat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same Rockler I went to (the people were very nice) - there is a little table next to the Transtint display and it was very messy but it did have a nice Transtint sample board on it - it just took me a minute to notice it there. The Woodcraft actually had their sample board displayed on the wall so it was an easy find there.

In all honesty the medium brown on the sample board looked to be the best match to the red (and the green for that matter) compared to all the other browns... it was dark enough yet red based so it contrasted very well.

Well I'm almost sold on the red BUT... the the Cordovan is still tugging at me a bit... I love the very, very dark purple or blue look - Gibson has an ES-137 like that on their website that I keep staring at - so classy.

You are 100% on the bad cell camera and monitor coloring... the Cordovan is the 4th from the LEFT on the bottom board laying flat on the table top (told ya it was dark). Here's a close up that is almost as bad quality due to the cell camera - in person its a touch lighter and really a brown/purple combo - very intersting and original shade (IMO)...

vulture

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that there were stores like this. If there was one close to me, I'd never get anything done, tinker, tinker tinker.
Structo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Marksound said something that might help.
You should keep the back color in the same family as the front color tone wise or it can turn to mud.
So like on the tele I did, I used medium brown as the back color, sanded that back, then applied the vintage amber as the top.
Then I tried creating a halo effect or burst by varying degrees of a combination of the brown and amber around the edges.
It looked like it had a more pronounced burst before I cleared it.
But it is what it is, a tiger burst.
The back is alder done in medium brown.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Kregg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always impressed and amazed by the talent on this board.

If I were you I'd play around with the red to get a custom tint. You obviously like red & purple. Why not shade the red (with a touch of blue) so that you get the best of both worlds and end up with a unique finish?
Obviously you need to test on a piece of scrap material and note your mix ratios. Believe me, once you get the hang of how little it takes to make a custom shade, you'll rarely use stock shades again.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I did a few years ago. It was my very first finish. I forgot to grainfill the mahogany and decided to level it with clear. About a case and a half of Deft later I got tired of messing with it and sold it.

BTW, I used David Myka's tut as a guide for doing the faux binding. Came out perfect.
lookslikemeband

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Woodcraft! I'm a "regular" in my local store.

Man, I LOVE that amber finish!!!! Shocked Very Happy

Guitars and Parts for Sale!!!!

You can't buff out a poorly prepped job.

Jai

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just a fan of green i think. voted green top with a darker back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: