The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Direct Link To The Store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be a store button on the forum page?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Who Cares
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

SonicJaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: A Direct Link To The Store Reply with quote

I think there should be a "Store" button on the forum that takes you right there. Unless I'm missing something?
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said yes, because I always had to Google to find the URL of the store until it suddenly dawned on me: Bookmark the site, dummy!

Even though I've got it bookmarked it would save a couple of clicks to have a "Go to ReRanch Store" button.
Houndog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of torn on this one. While it would be a little faster for people who don't have the page bookmarked, it would even more closely associate the forum with the store. I'll have to think on it awhile before I decide if I think it's a good idea or not. Confused
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~frank wrote:
I said yes, because I always had to Google to find the URL of the store until it suddenly dawned on me: Bookmark the site, dummy!

Even though I've got it bookmarked it would save a couple of clicks to have a "Go to ReRanch Store" button.

Dude, the store is at www.reranch.com Rolling Eyes
~frank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Houndog's concern about linking the forum tighter to the store. After a bit of reflection it might not be such a good idea.

marksound wrote:
~frank wrote:

Dude, the store is at www.reranch.com Rolling Eyes

Not in MY bookmarks! I want to know if it's open RIGHT NOW!!! Rolling Eyes Razz Twisted Evil
http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/
RayRay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houndog wrote:
I'm kind of torn on this one. While it would be a little faster for people who don't have the page bookmarked, it would even more closely associate the forum with the store. I'll have to think on it awhile before I decide if I think it's a good idea or not. Confused

I think it may bring a lot of unwanted "Flame and grief" to the forum...once in a while someone links the two and asks the question because the "Forum link" is already on the "Store-front" so to speak...and that's Ok...from what I've seen, the regular folks here are intelligent and "Manage" the issue fairly well as it stands. Wink

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
MikeP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I pm'd Bill offering to help with the "is the store open or not" problem. I'm a web geek by day, so the answer should not be that difficult. I think he was too busy to respond, but I think there may be an easy answer.

What if the main page at www.reranch.com contained an image that indicated the status of the store (think of the open/closed sign in a corner store). If Bill needs to close the store, he simply uploads a copy of the file (say "status.gif") with the "closed" version of the image ("sorry, reranch is closed"). When he gets back he just overwites the file again with the "open for busines" version. No Yahoo store trickery required, no HTML editing, just ftp an image onto the server.

Yes?

By the way, I live in Canada so unfortunately I can't order from Bill anyway. I just wanted to offer to help out as a way of saying thanks for all the great advice I've gotten by freeloading around here for all these years Smile
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always torn by this question too, and I still don't think its a good idea b/c I can see alot of people joining just to ask the same old question, "when is the store going to be open?". Thats eventually gonna start getting the wrong kind of attention with bad answers. Lets face it, Bill is a gigging musician, and when he's traveling for gigs, the store is closed. MikeP's idea is a good one and would be useful but thats up to Bill to decide.
steavis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People join just to ask when the store is going to be open? Gee...I joined for the chicks Wink

I am abstaining, buceause there's no way to say "yes, with a caveat", the caveat being that the problem of not being able to indicate that the store is closed (and even better an eta on when it will be open) should get solved first...then the association of the proum to the store will not be problematic.

I like MikeP's idea...and perhaps adding some preamble about how the store is run by someone who regularly gigs, and is only open when he's around.
Structo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic you do really like to stir the paint don't you?
Hey, you don't happen to have any blue paint you could give me do ya? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't know why Bill can't edit the front page of the store to read:
If when you click on the online store button it asks you for a password, that means the store is temporarily closed until further notice.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
DukeofIbanez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:

If when you click on the online store button it asks you for a password, that means the store is temporarily closed until further notice.

I think he said something about having to redo the WHOLE front page to do that....I think....
I voted yes.....why not
SonicJaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
Hey, you don't happen to have any blue paint you could give me do ya? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

As a matter of fact, I have some trans blue if you need it... I just wish it was easier for everyone to navigate and get the "we're open" "we're closed" signs going. I'll even make a neon graphic that flashes if Bill wants! Surprised
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicJaguar wrote:
Structo wrote:

As a matter of fact, I have some trans blue if you need it... I just wish it was easier for everyone to navigate and get the "we're open" "we're closed" signs going. I'll even make a neon graphic that flashes if Bill wants! Surprised

Nah, I have a can of the trans blue.
I was just pullin' your chain. Laughing

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
---

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be able to add it to the front page. I asked him to clarify what he meant by having to "re-write" the whole page. Nothing yet. It should be pretty simple, but I'm not familiar with the way yahoo works.

CMA
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can edit the front store page to explain the reason it is closed. I can do that but then I have to delete the original page, write the new one and then rebuild the main page when I open again. I tried that once. Also even with that all the other pages are still there and orders can be placed through the ReRanch.Com site links or simply by googling any of the products.

I'm sure there is an answer. I'm just not that smart enough to figure out a way to gracefully close the store when I have to load paint and ship paint. But then again, if I did find a way to do that I would probably lose such wonderfully entertaining emails like the one I got today. (He is not a customer and won't be). Well, I guess if he asks nicely I will loan him a few periods to use in his next masterpiece. Hell, here are some he can have for for free; ................................. Laughing

"wtf over anyone alive waiting for confirmation email from your register for 3 days no one answering the phone are u still in business or what need paint yesterday total horsecrap mang get a freakin fax machine only 60 $ will never buy from u again and from what i see online alot of people will be doing the same going to go with a new color if i dont get response today . Sure glad this job is for myself and not a customer ,one hell of a way to do business KMA baby can u say stew mac seeya"

This was real. I can't make stuff like this up. Bill.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: