The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickup Choices....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onemyndseye

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Pickup Choices.... Reply with quote

Ok,

Im trying to decide on pickups for my Vandenberg (Hard Rock, Metal, Shredder) since the originals are gone (and wasnt that good in the 1st place from what I hear).

Its a Hum-Single config.....2 Volumes 1 tone, 3way switch,

So far ive consider the following combo's:
=============
== Bridge/Neck ==
=============
***From DiMarzio ***
Breed / Blue Velvet
Evolution / Chopper
X2N / Pro Track

** From Seymour Duncan ***
FullShred / Hot Rails
Custom Custom / SJBJ-1 JB Jr
Blues Saraceno / SL59-1 Little '59
SH-13 Dimebucker / Hot Rails
George Lynch Screamin' Demon / SJBJ-1 JB Jr
JB? Model / Cool Rails

HELP ME!! lol Im going pickup apeshit!!! But seriously, gimme some input here guys ... help me choose or refine a combo (would you like fries with that? lol) ... or shoot some other suggestions at me Smile

Thanks,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
32203miracle

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love DiMarzios and have them on two of my guitars. My combos are one guitar with a Fred/Bluesbucker combo. Then I have one set up with a Fast Track T/Bluesbucker combo.

I like both setups.

So needless to say my vote is anything Dimarzio.

Last edited by 32203miracle on Thu May 13, 2004 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No EMG-81, EMG-S?

Although, I prefer passive pickups (vintage stuff) for my style, I did have EMGs and they were great for metal / industrial stuff.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active: EMG
Passive: Evolution/Chopper
rustyohus

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love the sound of DiMarzio's, especially the X2N but the PAF Pro is my all around favorite.
onemyndseye

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty,

I thought hard about the X2N for awhile now. Kinda scared it would be all scream and no tone..??.. I have a EVO setup in my strat project (http://onlinerock.com/musicians/onemyndseye/evo_strat_pics/) EVO-Blue Velvet-EVO ... and I love it..so the EVO's are a shure bet.

So... what about this X2N? Whats it sound like? All DiMarzio could tell me is that I'll either love it or hate it Rolling Eyes

Thanks Guys,
Keep with the Suggestions,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
rustyohus

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the best way to describe the sound is that when I want to play EVH stuff, I use my guitar that has the X2N on it. It is very much "in your face" and sometimes I want that. Not so good for clean playing, but then again, if your a clean player your not looking at these pickup options.
onemyndseye

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrmm... sounds interesting.

I think Ill go ahead and try the X2N/Pro Tracks combo... and If I dont like it I'll take advantage of DiMarzio's 90-day exchance policy and trade it for a EVO
Mikie47165

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Bill lawrence a try,Best pickup for the dolllar Idea
dildoboggins

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pickup Choices.... Reply with quote

onemyndseye wrote:
Ok,

Im trying to decide on pickups for my Vandenberg (Hard Rock, Metal, Shredder) since the originals are gone (and wasnt that good in the 1st place from what I hear).

Its a Hum-Single config.....2 Volumes 1 tone, 3way switch,

So far ive consider the following combo's:
=============
== Bridge/Neck ==
=============
***From DiMarzio ***
Breed / Blue Velvet
Evolution / Chopper
X2N / Pro Track

** From Seymour Duncan ***
FullShred / Hot Rails
Custom Custom / SJBJ-1 JB Jr
Blues Saraceno / SL59-1 Little '59
SH-13 Dimebucker / Hot Rails
George Lynch Screamin' Demon / SJBJ-1 JB Jr
JB? Model / Cool Rails

HELP ME!! lol Im going pickup apeshit!!! But seriously, gimme some input here guys ... help me choose or refine a combo (would you like fries with that? lol) ... or shoot some other suggestions at me Smile

Thanks,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
Do you have a picture of this axe?

I Like dimarzio cause it's seems to have a very good color pallet when it comes to harmonics and tone.
maxnew40

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang I never thought an X2N would be good for Van Halen stuff as Eddie always used low output P.A.F. pickups on his earlier guitars. I don't know what he used in the later signature guitars.

I have an amp that has an insane amount of gain so I like low to medium output pickups. To me they seem to have a more defined and rich tone than high output pickups do.

Max
the_Nong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not really newbie, im 40 years old and been playing since 14. ive heard this and that from friends.. but still i dont know which single-coiled-pick ups gives less (or non at all) hum? i know its a natural for it to have hum (otherwise ill get humbuckers), but is this true or is it just a myth?

other than using noise gates, noise suppressors or hum-debuggers etc..

thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one think that would help narrow it down is to throw out some Hard Rock, Metal, Shredder tones you are looking for.

If you're going for Vai.. can't go wrong with Dimarzios. I've wanted to try the Tone Zone in a guitar for awhile. I have limited experience with Dimarzio, but what I have tried I like. I own an Ibanez JS1000 with the FRED in the bridge and the PAF JOE in the neck. I also own a Music Man Axis with stock Custom EVH Dimarzios. I hear that the Breed and Evolution pickups are great pickups for Shredding; I've never tried them. My personal favorite Dimarzio pickup, the Super Distortion is perfect for classic metal like Priest and Maiden! Of course, don't forget Space Ace Frehley always plays with Super Distortions too! I've never tried any Dimarzio singles.

To my ear, Seymour Duncans are bit more organic sounding than Dimarzios. They tend to sound more natural and earthy to me. The Custom Custom is a fantastic pickup and will put you in EVH territory with a solid maple neck guitar, (might be too dark for a rosewood fretboard though). One of my favorite hot Duncan's that works with just about anything is the JB: very rich and harmonic, great for metal, classic hard rock. You might think about the Duncan Distortion or Duncan Custom as well. I've never tried the Screamin' Demon, I hear it is sorta like a hot Pearly Gates. I know the guys in Maiden use the Hot Rails and JB jr these days too. Don't forget the Jazz pickup for the neck.. great neck pickup! I love Duncan traditional PAF style pickups and generally I prefer their PAF tones over others, (love the Pearly Gates, '59, Seth Lover).

Bill Lawrence offers the L500XL that has been used by Dimebag and Nuno Bettencourt. You might think about this model. I've never tried it myself.

For EMGs, personally, I don't care for them. I had them installed in an old Kramer once.. just didn't do it for me. It has been a long time since I had any experience with EMGs, but I didn't think the tone was anything to write home to mom about.. sterile and bland to my ears. Plus, I'm not fond of having to worry about a 9v battery in my guitar. There are a lot of guys who like them and play them religiously. They seem to work best with Loads of gain..

Lots of options.. hope this helps! Cool

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
ripit007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mix between Dimarzio and Duncans:

Tone Zone / Cool Rails Cool

Cant go wrong with this setup...
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is almost 4 years old. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: