The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
re-run

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 year old from biloxi,ms. i have loved guitars,amps and effects since i was 12-13. i would go into the pawnshops beside my highschool in the 90's where i bought an old 1965 musicmaster and i have been hooked on old guitars eversince. i have a wonderful wife and 3 y/o son who love music even more than myself and jam out to old records on the record player whenever possible.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-run wrote:
32 year old from biloxi,ms. i have loved guitars,amps and effects since i was 12-13. i would go into the pawnshops beside my highschool in the 90's where i bought an old 1965 musicmaster and i have been hooked on old guitars eversince. i have a wonderful wife and 3 y/o son who love music even more than myself and jam out to old records on the record player whenever possible.

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Biloxi in 82 while I was stationed at Keesler AFB.
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
re-run

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:
re-run wrote:

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Biloxi in 82 while I was stationed at Keesler AFB.

thank you very much. i love the living on the gulf of mexico but i could live without the humidity we have.
66rdster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm new here and wanted to post a quick introduction.

My real name is Mike and I live in Clayton, NC. My user name - 66rdster - comes from a car I built a few years ago, a replica 66 Shelby 427SC roadster. I've used the name on a couple of car forums and I guess it just stuck.

I retired about a year and a half ago and and decided to get back into guitars. I started learning to play back in the mid eighties and shortly thereafter had an accident at work that took off the ring finger of my left hand. They re-attached it but it doesn't work all that well. I got discouraged with learning to play and gave it up. Since I've retired and have always wanted to play, I've decided, what the heck, I'll just do the best I can. My playing is just for personal enjoyment anyway, so who cares if its not that good.

Anyway, my life long passion has been cars and restoring 60's and 70's muscle cars. I've built dozens over the years and am currently restoring a 1970 Mach 1. I also enjoy tinkering on anything I can get my hands on, do most all of my own home repair and improvements, am a bit of an amateur gunsmith, and so on. My love of working on and modifying things, and now getting into guitars, has led me here. It started with a few pickup changes, then progressed into pedal building, building an amp (Trinity Tramp) and now I would like to learn more about building and finishing guitars.

So much for a short intro, seems I'm rambling a bit. Anyway, I've put together a few guitars already from bodies and necks I've purchased through various sources. I've been lurking around here for a while, it seems like the members here are more friendly and helpful than I've seen anywhere else. I can't believe the work some of you guys do. Its absolutely amazing. I've just picked up another Strat body and am looking forward to getting started on it.

Thanks for the great forum and I'm looking forward to learning and participating.

Mike
ezraplaysezra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Hello to everyone Reply with quote

My name is Ezra. I've got to be about 40 by now, I live in Albany NY currently. I'm just getting the ball re-rolling on things after a 6 year Hiatus as a stay at home mom... mr mom.

I'm a strat guy mostly, but I have a lot of other stuff. I love old 60's Japanese weirdo guitars like Guyatones and Tiesco's. On average I probably acquire about 4 or 5 guitars a month from squiers to vintage. I do a lot of trades so the numbers don't get too crazy but I have at least 40 electrics in the house in one form or another.

I'm also just finishing up a 2 and a half year renovation on a 20's craftsmen bungalow (with three kids under 6 running around!) so I'm eager to get my workshop back to projects of musical interest. I do some building, I built a sanding table last night and I'm going to work on a spray booth here momentarily. I also plan on building a new pickup winder too as my old ones been mishandled and sourced for 6 years.

I just got a very poorly treated Mark Hoppus (?) signature P bass that's finish is barely clinging to wood and thought I should try a colored finish of respectable quality. I've used reranch products in the past but this will be my first real refin. But I have probably 6 projects worthy of a spray.

I look forward to getting to know everybody. Let me know if there a any parts, gear or anything else you're looking for, (or getting rid of) I have pretty good luck sourcing stuff. I have bins of effects and parts and I also acquire a lot of keys and vintage synths. Cheers.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys!!

I signed up here a while back and, while I really don't do any kind of finishing work (I leave that to the experts because of my disability, Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus).

I just turned thirty-eight in May but I've been around music since I was around two years old . One of my uncles played guitar and I would always climb up in his lap and strum the guitar while he would chord the guitar. Actually, as an infant, you couldn't get me to go to sleep unless a radio was placed next to me in my crib.

I took up music serious in my teens and got my first experience at playing when I started playing piano for my then-home church. I actually first started out on drums then went to guitar then piano. I got my first guitar - a Fender Paisley Telecaster - when I was 20. I had that guitar for seventeen years until I stupidly sold it earlier this year. I had it equipped with a B/G StringBender, Schaller banjo tuners (I HATE SCHALLER!!!), Barden pickups. I loved that guitar dearly and wish I had never sold it!! I'm having an AllParts Paisley Tele built by a friend of mine then I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a Paisley Tele from fellow boardie (& FB buddy), Mark.

I've played in several bands during my time as a musician and I've enjoyed everyone of them. I'm a big Elvis Presley fan and it was his band, The TCB Band, that made me want to get serious about playing. I also loved players such as James Burton (leader of the TCB Band & also a member of Ricky Nelson's band from 1958-1965.

I have a whole list of favorite current players in Nashville, but won't list them here.

I know I've probably rambled (it's early here in the hills of WNC on this Monday morning) so...I shall say, "Thanks for letting me be a member!" and now I'll go search the boards for new threads!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if I posted here...probably did so I apologize for the duplicate...

I'm Tony...38...disabled with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus (it's mild, thank God). I've been through a lot of crap in my life and witnessed some good things - but I am unable to do certain things that most people take for granted like driving a car (which really sucks) and I'm legally blind in my left eye.

As for my avatar? Well, as you can tell, I don't have one because I haven't found one small enough yet. But I shall succeed in finding one!! Very Happy

Sorry I haven't been around much...haven't been feeling well, mostly, and I'm back playing music again after about a six/seven month break due to foot surgery earlier this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaybones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guitaraholic named Jay Campbell. 43 years old, born and went to high school in Springfield, Ohio but family goes back to 1874 on Kelleys Island, Ohio. User name comes from a nickname I earned in 1987 at my first real job, a marina here on Kelleys Island. I suffered a traumatic brain injury in October 2008 and have been on SSDI and had to move back with my parents.

I have a bachelors of arts in sociology with a minor in music from Ohio University (Athens, go Bobcats!). Best 7 years of my life, but I went almost 5 years to get my bachelors.

Used to follow the Grateful Dead, hence the need to take 7 years to finish college, saw them 44 times (the real GD with Jerry, Bobby, Phil, Mickey and Bill- and a succession of keyboardists Bruce Hornsby being the best of them), owed 3 different VW bay window buses (1974 white hard top Westfalia weekender, 1976 orange 9 passenger station wagon, and my favorite a 1978 green VW Westfalia poptop camper with every option except automatic transmission- gas heater, rare dealer installed air conditioning and propane stove and tri power fridge, added a J C Whitney cruise control kit for a Super Beetle, had to lengthen the wiring between the steering wheel and the engine and considered a 5 speed transaxle, about a grand and I didn't have a lift or trans jack so it never happened, same with the power windows, Beetle kit was made for thicker doors, bus' were too thin for ant kit at the time. Bought it from a retiring Air Force colonel who had bought it in Portland Oregon and broke it in driving east to Wright Patterson AFB, 70,000 miles and in perfect shape, sold it at 140 some thousand miles in less than perfect shape, needed more maintenance than I could really afford since I was back in college finishing my degree).

Started playing piano when I was 6, at mom's insistence. Stopped when I was 10 and picked up the recorder (everyone in 4th grade did), moved on to alto saxophone for junior high band, then moved to percussion for 2 years of high school band then bought my first guitar in the fall of 1989, been playing ever since. Started out wanting to play Dead songs and other hippie type sing alongs, moved onto electric in 1994 and was in my first band as a bass player. Now I have a small collection of guitars, basses, amplifiers and gear. Last gig I did was a solo acoustic afternoon show when I lived in Key West for a winter.

I've met Phil Lesh from the Grateful Dead at a celebrity race in Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport. Have a picture of him and Richard Dean Anderson using my swiss army knife acting like he was working on his racecar's engine. Also met Jimmy Buffet when I worked as a bar back at Margarittaville in Key West. He was a pretty cool and humble guy, and Phil was a socially awkward cerebral nerd who wore polyester casual clothes and hush puppies.

I have put together a strat and j bass copy. Both "builds" were with already finished parts. I have an extra pawlonia bass body that I am refinishing. Eventually I want to learn to route bodies and necks and build my own instruments. And build a tube amp from a kit, point to point hand wired with premium components and speaker. Already know how to solder on PCB, and swap out pots and input jacks.

I am a die hard Browns, Indians, Ohio University, and Ohio State fan (until they play my alma mater). I name my guitars after women, and own an all original 1976 Fender Stratocaster hard tail natural finish, called Natalie. That's about it...
jaybones

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name's Jay, I was born in 1972, after playing piano from age 6 to 10, alto saxophone from 10 to 14, then percussion from 14 to 16 in high school band I bought an acoustic guitar at the beginning of my senior year (1989).

I have a minor in music, from Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. For the performance requirement I had to sing in the chorus. OU has no professor of strings, and the only opening for guitarist to perform were in jazz band, and the school's "pop" band. They were filled with music majors, and I couldn't play as well as they (especially the jazz stuff).

I live on Kelleys Island, Ohio where my mother's family goes back 5 generations to 1874. The winery my great great grandfather emigrated from Germany to work in (owned by his uncle, so my great great great uncle) is a half a mile away, still standing, and is now a bar/restaurant. Worked there for a couple years in the kitchen as a sous chef (OTJ training, never any formal schooling but the guy was cordon bleu graduate and pretty skilled, when he was sober) finally bartending when I turned 21.

Presently I get SSDI, and live with my elderly parents (dad's 82 and has high blood sugar, triglycerides, and has had heart problems, mom is 78 and has her share of infirmities as well - both doing well for their ages). I help with grounds keeping and projects around the house.

My name comes from when I worked at a marina here when I was 15 years old. We played "The Penny Game", where we would drop pennies from the deck at street level down about 10 feet landing on the 2x4 deck bellow. The object of the game was to get the closest to the edge without going into the water. Easier said then done, the gaps between the 2x4's would normally swallow them or they'd bounce into the water. I dropped one that just happened to bounce around and land in between the edge of the dock and an upright, sliding down and getting trapped. I couldn't be beat, I could only be tied.

Everyone groaned, and someone said "Jay boned us!". That got shortened to Jay Bones. 39 years later I'm still known by that name. Could be worse I suppose...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason was thinking I did this....

My name is Calvin, and I've been a lurker and/or involved here about 4 years. Started playing guitar in 6th grade, now 47 and play in a cover band that's 80's underground - Cars, Clash, Cult, Fix...college rock of the day.

I've always been interested in finishing, so after one guitar done with ReRanch nitro, I got a compressor and some guns so I could do metal flake. I tend to jump in on the deep end - I'm intensely curious about things and have the DIY bug.

I owe a huge debt of thanks to many of the guys here who have helped with tips and techniques while I was learning...kinda feels like a remote apprenticeship, and I really appreciate it. Thanks!

My avatar comes from the idea that many products that are marketed as special and "ultra awesome and improved" often have a big number after them, so my first initial C with 5000 after it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: