The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...and your source is correct! These guys are awesome (not me, but others). If they can guide me through a refin, you are indeed in good hands!
wizard_drongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks;

It's always nice to get a good welcome…

I'm off to post about my headless tuner questions Very Happy
aquietcabin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up everybody

my name's joe. i have a wife Victoria and a two year old daughter named Cordehlia. we live in cozy Woodstock, Illinois. where it's as if the gilmore girls set sprang to life and settled in northern Illinois. the movie "groundhog's day" was filmed here so we've got that going for us

been playing guitar and pretty much any other insrument besides brass since i was 5. just finished my first real refinish on a beat up tokai. now i have one more strat finished and two more projects in the works........my wife hates you all Laughing

Graduated from Ohio University in Athens OHio, went to law school at University of Toledo for about 3 months and decided i wasn't going to sell out to the man, but of course still ended up selling out to the man down the road just for much less money Laughing

be excellent to each other

joe

Guitars wrote:
Amen Brother.... Life is too short to sand more than one needs to. .

Last edited by aquietcabin on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
telepariah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie here, but a lot of my friends call me Chez and I kinda like it. My screen name would lead you to believe that I own at least one Telecaster, but alas, the name has nothing remotely to do with the guitar. I live in Colorado and am a telemark skier. Telemark skiing is kind of like the guitar restoration community of the ski world. We use only half a binding to make skiing more difficult than it needs to be. The name telepariah refers to the fact that I am a bit irreverent and not much of a purist as tele skiers go. I like to make fun of our sport, which is something that the more doctrinaire among our tribe don't always get.

I started playing guitar when I was about 9 but never really practiced enough to get good. I played piano and violin as a sickly child but yearned to be outdoors playing with my brothers. So as soon as I could get out, that was it for the formal study of music. I became an adrenaline junkie for life. Still have some issues that are more of an inconvenience than anything else but my life is all about being in the mountains.

I do own an 80s Japan Strat I got in a second hand shop in Sapporo when I was working for the Japanese government doing research on avalanches. I paid about $200 for it and it is sweet. I also have a classical guitar and have been lusting after more guitars for a number of years but my... er... banker won't release funds for me to buy any more toys (I have about 19 pairs of skis).

I love all kinds of music but mainly play blues and jazz, with a bit of twangy country thrown in now and then even though it annoys my lovely wife. Laughing

So I found this site because while visiting my 88 and 91 year old uncles in southern Illinois this spring I found an old archtop in Uncle Bill's basement. When I picked it up I realized it was completely unplayable. The back was separated at the heel, the lacquer was chipped and flaked off where it had been sitting on the floor, and the tuners were all corroded and bent so they wouldn't even turn. The action was more than a half inch at the 12th fret. I decided I had to adopt this orphan and get it back to some kind of playable condition. It is a Regal Auditorium model, made by Harmony in 1966. Apparently not in any kind of demand as a vintage instrument, but it has sentimental value for me and I hope to make it my camp-jamming guitar. Who takes an archtop camping? Only a tele skier would do that, right? Wink

I have never thought of myself as being all that handy, though I have built some things around the house and I mount ski bindings and tune skis for my wife and myself, as well as provide a bench and tools for a number of friends if they will bring beer. But I have never done anything as intricate as working on a guitar. I'm making lots of mistakes and learning as I go. This forum has been a great resource.

I'm 53 years old and besides skiing and guitar, I also love trail running and ultramarathons. I've broken more bones than I've had jobs, and I've had a lot of jobs. Bit hyperactive and have a very short attention span, but I've done alright with it. I work for a huge consulting company in kind of an account management role but my passions are for the mountains and for music. I'm married to Kazumi, no kids. We just finished rebuilding our house while living in it. I don't want to do that again.

I haven't decided on an avatar yet but will come up with something.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been around for a little while, but there's so much knowledge here I really didn't think I had much to add. But here goes anyway…My name is AJ, one wife, four kids, and 2.75 grandkids. I’m 49 and living in southwest Idaho. Spent 20 years and one day in the Air Force, and have been working in IT since ’93. I’m not really a guitar player, but I like to dink around. When I was a kid I played a little on clarinet, saxophone, piano, 6-string and bass guitars. That was when I could pick it up and play by ear.

I lurked here for a year before starting my first build, an LPB Tele-style. That build along with a ’74 Alvarez I picked up from a friend years ago in Florida and a beater Epi acoustic I take camping make up my guitars – currently. I have four projects in mind. One being a double cut rear routed pine Tele body with a Strat neck pocket waiting for me.

I needed a screen name for another forum I joined a few years ago and was watching Reservoir Dogs, Vic Vega it was. Pretty much stuck with that one since for various accounts. The avatar is the head of a golden dragon tattoo design I worked up.
smips

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name is Jeff-

Going to be stripping and re-finish a Lotus Strat copy this winter, just collecting ideas and thoughts.

Looks to be a great group here.
sg64gibson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Addison Babinski, Twenty years old and I live in Sunny Huntington Beach, California. I've been playing guitar for about 11 years and I've been tinkering with them for just as long. I am currently going to college for my AA as I just graduated High school in 2008. I was a prankster and probably one of the last kids of my generation who do manual labor and use their hands to fix/build things.
When I'm not at school or on this site, I'm in my garage building my 1935 Dodge Hot Rod. I have a couple of chickens and four cats..
I skateboard and Ride my hardtail MTB on dirt jumps occasionally.
I find this website extremely helpful and funny at times Laughing
The amount of guitar knowlwdge here is so nast I'm glad that it is catalogged on the internet.
Peace out,

SAB IV

Last edited by sg64gibson on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Addison

You will fit right in. Hot Rod, vintage car restoration pet lovers is very common among members here.

I'm suprise at the age of 20 your username is sg64gibson, a vintage classic. Usually person your age likes modern guitars. Then again, I don't know since I'm well over twice your age. Wink
sg64gibson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roland, I just stumbled into vintage guitars when I found my 64 sg special project at a swap meet.
One led to another and now i've got 7 guitars and counting..New and vintage.
I guess the type of guitar you have kinda goes with what music you play.
I've always been an oldschool guy with the type of music i like so older guitars just fit right in.

The guitar fits the player...

SAB IV

Last edited by sg64gibson on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Instagator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Addison,glad to have you aboard. Cool
Cheers.
Tenafly Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Jeff. I've seen Addison over at the EverythingSG board. Hi Addison. Nice to see a 20 year old taking initiative and learning how to do stuff with their hands and how to work out how to fix and build things.

Me. I'm 46. Father of 3. Try and coach soccer sometimes. Play in a band called The Tenafly Vipers. Our full length record album is about to come out. So that is fun. I like playing loud rock music. I'm taking a really long time to try and build a couple of Magnatone Mark 5's. One with a bigsby and one without. I work in a testing lab for the printing industry, so I tend to talk about things from that standpoint.

This website does seem like it has a lot of cool and really knowledgeable people.
RandyM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, new avatar. This one actually kind of depicts how I feel most of the time.

people amaze me, not always a good thing.
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telepariah wrote:
Charlie here, but a lot of my friends call me Chez and I kinda like it.

I'm 53 years old and besides skiing and guitar, I also love trail running and ultramarathons. I've broken more bones than I've had jobs, and I've had a lot of jobs.

Welcome aboard. Smile

My 4 month old son is named Charlie too.

Curious, how far is an ultramarathon? Me, I am a triathlete. So is evilive138.
Groveness

Location: Brooklyn, NY. by way of New Brunswick, NJ. by way of Richmond, Va.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, my name is Josh Grove and I've been a member here for some time. I started as a lurker for about three years if you can believe it, and built my first guitar (the one shown in my avatar which happens also to be my one and only) about six years ago with the knowledge that I gleaned from this forum before I decided to become a full fledged member. The Reranch has been quite instrumental in my life, both as a font of interest and as a source of knowledge which has enabled my current full-time profession of building guitars. Thanks for the incredible pooled resource everyone!

As a brief personal sketch, I am a fairly nerdy thirty year old dude who goes out of the way to use much larger words than any conversation ever really calls for. I earned an undergraduate degree in philosophy and have a tendency toward the pedantic and inane. I like knowing things, cooking/eating/savoring, and of course playing music. I've played in various bands over the years mostly as a guitar player and singer but also as a drummer, and I'm working toward trying to make the music I write my primary source of income. And for my money Radiohead and the Beatles are the two most important bands, Kid A and Revolver (or perhaps Rubber Soul) respectively being their strongest output.

Protocasterguitars.com
"Brand new old prototypes!"
86runner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now getting around to doing this as well. I've been here for a bit and have come to feel rather at home. My name is Alan Roberts. I was born and raised in Nashville and thoroughly dislike country music Very Happy . 33 years old, work in health care, getting married on June 3rd of this year so that's an adjustment I'm trying to make.

I've played in various bands over the years and have loved stringed instruments ever since I picked up the guitar 18 years ago. Self taught, love the blues, math rock, post hardcore, etc. That list could get long. I recently (as recently as my join date) started tearing guitars down and trying to re-do them. Notice how that word is italicized! I'm completely enjoying it and have found ANOTHER passion that keeps me busy and pretty well broke.

Thanks alot guys Laughing Rolling Eyes

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: