The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

divebombing...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What bridge to use on my new guitar?
Vintage with 2 screws (this includes Callaham)
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
2 point vintage from Warmoth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wilkinson (has zinc block)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
American Standard (has leaded steel block)
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Floyds (requires extensive mod to body/neck)
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: divebombing... Reply with quote

I know Hendrix divebombed on a vintage tremolo, but I guess it goes out of tune... so the question is, on my new guitar I am deciding what bridge I want to use and I honestly can't decide... I would love to use floyd but that means I need to modify the body for floyd, not cheap to have a professional do it, and not cheap to buy a router for this either. Or should I just go with wilkinson/vintage/2 point vintage/whatever and graphite nut and locking tuner which will be MUCH cheaper and requires no modification to the body or neck other than drilling holes for those bridges. I don't know because I am going to start doing some divebombs and it'd help if my guitars won't go out of tune everytime...

I don't like wilkinson because it sounds like poop, it has full zinc block.
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A old school Floyd does not require mods... Eddie could show ya...
claudevl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A properly set up vintage trem will stay in tune thru all sorts of abuse.

Key points.

Make sure the nut is cut properly and doesn't stick.

Use all 5 springs the way St. Leo designed it.

Adjust the spring tension to balance your choice of strings with the claw screws.

I have mine set to pull up a whole step and even if I press the talent lever all the
way to the body and then pull it all the way up it generally returns to in-tune.

Sometimes I do have to flick the bar to get it exact, but it's no big deal. Usually Rolling Eyes

Locking tuners are a help as well, but I just have regular Gotoh Klusons at this point.
RyanF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was for the dragonforce one, I would say do a floyd. But the kind on american strats stays in tune perfectly with 5 springs and locking tuners. You can dive, but you cant make the pitch go upward. Floyd roses are cool, but are quite a pain.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanF wrote:
If this was for the dragonforce one, I would say do a floyd. But the kind on american strats stays in tune perfectly with 5 springs and locking tuners. You can dive, but you cant make the pitch go upward. Floyd roses are cool, but are quite a pain.

You think is it advisable for me to do a non recessed floyd since all I gotta do is drill 3/8 inch hole rather than route out some huge cavity? Granted I gotta shim the neck but hey, its not that hard to do that... Plus I can use really cheap tuner with floyds.
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude gave a lot of good ideas. But here's another one to expand on the nut. Put a bit of pencil lead in each of the string slots to keep the strings from catching.
Structo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nut sauce!

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
Nut sauce!

+1 to nut sauce. Pencil lead or graphite works well, Nut Sauce works is better IMO.
Houndog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 to nut sauce, it's quite amazing! Cool
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotgoalie11565 wrote:
Claude gave a lot of good ideas. But here's another one to expand on the nut. Put a bit of pencil lead in each of the string slots to keep the strings from catching.

I read on the form to chamfer the mounting screw holes on the tremolo plate if its not already and use chamfer oval screws.

I played many tremolo, from Floyds, Khalers and I prefer the stock type tone.

Here's an option, Point Tremolo but does require some modification.

claudevl wrote:

Sometimes I do have to flick the bar to get it exact, but it's no big deal. Usually Rolling Eyes..
Jeff Watson's 'warbble sound'[?] (Night Ranger), I thought that was pretty cool technique Cool
claudevl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR wrote:
claudevl wrote:

Sometimes I do have to flick the bar to get it exact, but it's no big deal. Usually Rolling Eyes..

Jeff Watson's 'warbble sound'[?] (Night Ranger), I thought that was pretty cool technique Cool

I usually mute slightly with the left hand when I do it to release a stuck string, so no sound then.

I've had to do that a whole lot less since I figured out the whole dynamic between the springs and the strings.

It is a nifty little sound effect for a sound effect, though.

One of these days I'm gonna try the nut sauce too...
Houndog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you try it, you'll never want to lube your nuts with anything else. Cool
sinnerboy61

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callaham. Very Happy
RyanF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii wrote:
RyanF wrote:

You think is it advisable for me to do a non recessed floyd since all I gotta do is drill 3/8 inch hole rather than route out some huge cavity? Granted I gotta shim the neck but hey, its not that hard to do that... Plus I can use really cheap tuner with floyds.

You'd still have to alter the nut though. Will not recessing the Floyd allow give you much more lattitude than a normal trem?
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanF wrote:
rahimiiii wrote:
RyanF wrote:

You'd still have to alter the nut though. Will not recessing the Floyd allow give you much more lattitude than a normal trem?

I don't know in any case I'd have to have the locking nut to use a floyd anyways, otherwise it'd be pointless to have floyds. According to Warmoth recessing the floyd only allows you to not have to shim the neck because its almost like a TOM bridge, sits quite high on the guitar. I think the lattitude is pretty much the same whether or not its recessed... I don't know though never installed a floyd...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: