The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need suggestions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which amp should I build?
Marshall JCM800 clone
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Plexi 50 lead
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Plexi 50 bass
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
JTM45 bluesbreaker
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Fender 5F4 super
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trainwreck Express...?
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Others (please specify)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluenote wrote:
I voted for the JTM45, what the hell! Laughing

I was under the impression those Ceriatone Trainwreck clones didn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. do they?

they've been referred to as a 'one trick pony' on The Gear Page, maybe i just misinterpreted what they meant. they do sound nice, though.
For myself I would vote for JTM45 since its the "bluesiest" among all the Marshalls, but like Rahimiii stated, it doesn't have much clean headroom.

After 35+ years of playing, I surrender the idea there's a "be-all, do-all" amplifier out there. I'm sticking to "one-trick pony" amplifiers that's why I'm getting into assembling amps.

Two Allen Kits under my belt. My electrical engineer friend laughed at me claiming "You know how to read schematics, and yet you have to step way back to connect the dot diagrams."

I rebuttal: "Remember we read the book 'How to Pickup Women'. Well we don't start at the top and attempting pick up 'Swim Suit Model', we start with mediocre looking chicks and work ourselves up. Of course we have to be realistic and semi-good looking or below is probably the best we could. Wink
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I dont know, but it looks like a JTM45 uses 2 KT66 which means its probably at least 30 watts, should have more headroom than a 5e3 anyways. I wasn't really looking at the JTM45 but the plexi 50 or JCM800 which both is based on the EL34 which supposedly gives about 40-50 watts, should be enough headroom. I guess I am really looking for something with good clean tone and I can use pedals or other adjustments to get sorta medium headroom but can still play clean at loud volume should the need arise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: