The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need suggestions...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

which amp should I build?
Marshall JCM800 clone
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Plexi 50 lead
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Plexi 50 bass
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
JTM45 bluesbreaker
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Fender 5F4 super
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trainwreck Express...?
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Others (please specify)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: I need suggestions... Reply with quote

I looked over all the amps offered by ceriatone.com and initially I wanted to build a 5E3 deluxe tweed, but I want something with more headroom so I can still play clean, and use tubescreamers or other pedals to control my sound to fit my need. I have been looking at Marshall (I am partial towards marshall since they have stronger tone for rock n roll) JCM 800 clone, Plexi 50 lead (or bass, could I plug a bass into it?), and JTM45 bluesbreaker. I want something that can be good for bedroom practices (with a THD hotplate or something) so a master volume is probably a good idea, but I can also take it into gigs should the need arise. The problem with the 5E3 is that according to all the reviews I read, its a one trick pony, that means it is only good for blues and nothing else, and there is too little headroom if I wanted to play jazz/clean style. I don't want to buy an amp for every style of music I play because I am not rich and certainly don't have space for more than one amp, I don't mind spending a little more money initially but tonal versatility (with or without pedals...) is very important to me...

So should I go with a JCM 800, Plexi 50, JTM45 bluesbreaker, or Fender 5F4 super or one of those trainwreck clones?

I am not concerned with difficulty in soldering, I am at least decently competent with soldering irons. It's not like soldering an Intel Pentium LGA775 socket to the motherboard....
Vince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly.... you should just buy a Fender Blues Jr and mod the tone stack... Done deal.

Building a clone is going to cost a fortune in comparison. Confused
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Honestly.... you should just buy a Fender Blues Jr and mod the tone stack... Done deal.

Building a clone is going to cost a fortune in comparison. Confused

Yea but I can build a JCM800 for the cost of a Blues Junior in Taiwan... because for some reason blues junior cost 600 dollars in Taiwan.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Trainwreck.
Since Ceriatone is probably the best bang for your buck as far as shipping goes.
The Wreck is 36 watts depending on what tubes you put in it (EL34 or 6V6).
It also has the option of adding a master volume.

IMO, you don't want more than say 30 watts or so because you mention bedroom playing levels, you are not going to get the tone you want unless (a) it has 5 watts or less, or (b) it has a good master volume circuit.
But with 20-30 watts you have a gig capable amp that has plenty of volume.

You should contact Nik at Ceriatone as he is reputed to be very helpful and answers questions you may have.
He should be able to suggest the best amp for your needs.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the Trainwreck clone!!

Here is what you'll get for sound:

w/ 59 Les Paul:
http://home.comcast.net/~guitonit/CeriatoneLPbyGK.mp3

w/ Callaham Strat:
http://home.comcast.net/~guitonit/CeriatoneSTRATby_GK.mp3

Bear in mind these were done WITHOUT effects, ie: straight into the amp. The distortion was controlled completely with the volume control on the guitar!

They can be built with a half power switch so you can knock it down to 18 watts for bedroom playing.

Not bad for amp with 36 watts peak, eh??

Last edited by Home Grown Tele on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have one of these HGT?

Did you build it?

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds absolutely amazing! Shocked

Is that the Liverpool or the Express?
Lon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HGT, great sound tracks on both guitars, some awesome picking!!!!! If I knew how to play a guitar instead of bass, I would build that amp.
nimhb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Grown- great clips!

I vote for the trainwreck after hearing those clips! Cool

Check out my band - The Roils
http://www.reverbnation.com/theroils

https://www.facebook.com/The.Roils?fref=ts
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbaker wrote:
Home Grown- great clips!

I vote for the trainwreck after hearing those clips! Cool

Nik suggested that I go with the Marshall 36 watt because it has a half power switch... I think I am still partial towards the Plexi 50 because I am going to ask to see if he can put a master volume on it and will probably get a weber attenuator or something. Which trainwreck do you have? express or liverpool (the express has more power obviously)

I know the Marshall Plexi 50 has 2 EL34 (I guess most "50 watt" amps are like this?) so if I took off one of the EL34 I would half the power right? I am assuming its a push pull amp so it must have 2 tubes (kinda like Dual channel DDR memory...) right?

I am not really looking for EL84 based amps... I had a pro junior and I did not like it too much.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Grown Tele wrote:
Go with the Trainwreck clone!!

Here is what you'll get for sound:

w/ 59 Les Paul:
http://home.comcast.net/~guitonit/CeriatoneLPbyGK.mp3

w/ Callaham Strat:
http://home.comcast.net/~guitonit/CeriatoneSTRATby_GK.mp3

Bear in mind these were done WITHOUT effects, ie: straight into the amp. The distortion was controlled completely with the volume control on the amp!

They can be built with a half power switch so you can knock it down to 18 watts for bedroom playing.

Not bad for amp with 36 watts peak, eh??

Wow! thats no effect like reverb and all? I couldn't get my Zoom G2.1u sounding this good (at least without alot of tweaking of patches and selecting the "right" mod, and I definitely can't control the distortion by picking technique or volume control... ). And one of my friend tells me "why not just cheap out and buy a SS amp" cause all he had was a SS Fender amp (probably a Frontman). Like I said, selection for tube amps are so bad in Taiwan. They sell Marshall JCM800 lead and plexi 50 and 100, but they are very expensive, about 2500-3000 US dollars just for the HEAD. No one except working musicians would be able to afford this thats for sure. Fender Twin Reverb cost about 1000 new, but it doesn't have the sound I am looking for. It sounds great on acoustics and other clean tone application but it's got so much headroom and no master volume that I bet it would have to be VERY loud before it will even begin to break up. Thought about buying ready made Fender amps, assuming I could find one, like Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but 1. Couldn't find it, no dealer sells it. They said if they special order it there'd be a 1000 markup over American prices, plus Taiwanese tax of 30% for electronic products to carry some kind of certification label.

I think I might carry a risk of getting hit with the 30% certification tax if I had Nik build the amp complete, so I will most likely buy it in parts (I can't carry both the transformer and the amp in the same package and walk 1/2 miles from the post office to pick it up) and ask Nik to declare it as either electronics parts or something. Even with the certification tax it's still cheaper than a new Twin Reverb and probably better sounding. (I do like Twin Reverb's sound but its crap for any sort of blues)
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
So you have one of these HGT?

Did you build it?

Not yet, but it's sure to be one one of my next "big" purchases (if I can stop buying guitars long enough to get one). I'd like to set it up with an A/B switch with my Allen Encore. It'd be the best of both worlds for clean and distortion!!

Those sound clips are copied from a post on the Gear Page by a guy doing a "shootout" comparison of the Ceriatone Trainwreck Liverpool and an original Trainwreck by Ken Fisher.

BTW I just fixed a typo on the first post. The distortion was controlled by the volume on the GUITAR, not the amp. IE: you can get that crunch by just turning up your volume.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all the suggestions. I was planning on eventually selling one of my guitar in order to pay for the amp because I do need to save up money for other plans. I got enough parts for 2 guitars and I figure keep the best part and sell the rest, because I figure I rather have a guitar and a great amp than 2 guitar and a crappy multi effect unit (I am not dissing the G2.1u, its a great unit but it has its limitations). I got someone to build me a 1x12 speaker cabinet for about 60 dollars and I will probably try to find the speakers locally...

I think I might want to go with the trainwreck express. How do I add a bleeder resister so that I wont get shocked by the amp when I take it apart for maintenance? also how do I bias the amp if the need arises?
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the JTM45, what the hell! Laughing

I was under the impression those Ceriatone Trainwreck clones didn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. do they?

they've been referred to as a 'one trick pony' on The Gear Page, maybe i just misinterpreted what they meant. they do sound nice, though.
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluenote wrote:
I voted for the JTM45, what the hell! Laughing

I was under the impression those Ceriatone Trainwreck clones didn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. do they?

they've been referred to as a 'one trick pony' on The Gear Page, maybe i just misinterpreted what they meant. they do sound nice, though.

I am partial to the Plexi 50 lead because it's gotta have LOTS of headroom...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: