The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Color choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color Jaguar?
Burst
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Blonde
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oly
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
GOLD!
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Black
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Helloid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Color choices Reply with quote

I just bought a Jaguar project that is already primed. It started out as a Sherwood with gold plated HW. It is going to come to me with a red pickguard. I am going to have to find a neck and gold tuners, but no biggie.

The seller says that the multi piece MIJ body is not pretty enough for a sunburst--the classic Jag look. With gold plates I would be tempted to go with Oly white. But I would also consider grain-be-damned and do either 3-burst or blonde. Of course, I am so tacky I would consider shoreline, but that would be pretty pimp. Most of these would be a real challenge to do well. But I think I am ready to try anything--even BLACK.

Here's a gold on gold Fender Jazz. It sounds like it would be tacky, but it's not.

Jai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oly white with gold hardware...Bellissima! Very Happy
Helloid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. That's my fallback color scheme.

Here's my new rig I will be using. I patterned it after Cbaker's. The rack was $100, but I can also use it to tune my bicycles. (The spray booth is a $20 wardrobe from Target. I am going to use it mainly to keep dust off. I was hoping it was like a shower curtain material so it would contain odors, but it's more like fabric). I tried the clamp on the Park Tool and it rules! I can also use it to hold necks. Now I can move the guitar around and move around it. Better light, better coverage, no stooping. The copper bars were $5 at HD. I will bolt them into the neck pocket and then clamp that in the bike rack. I put a T joint on it so I could turn it more easily.

It goes into my oddball must-have tools list along with solder braid, and Minwax wood stain PENS! I used an oak stain today to touch up spots where someone had drilled for different tuners in a headstock. I will also try them to antique some plastic tuner caps. Sure, I can use regular stain for some things, but these can be dotted on and then capped like a Sharpie. Oak is light enough that I used it a few times to get the color right. I will finish the job with some amber, but I wanted to give it some help. The oak isn't quite gold, but it makes the fix less noticeable.

Jai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool set up. Cool

I'm still hangin bodies from the garage door by a zip tie. Confused
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: the park work stand-

that's a DAMN good idea!

I've got one. I'm SO going to use it!

thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: