The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New finish over an unknown refin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredcapo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Still dont know how much of the original finish was removed and thus how far the old refin goes into the wood. I will keep at it with the 400 and also do the test for lacquer. I am prett6 sure the body is maple, maybe neck also.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredcapo wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Still dont know how much of the original finish was removed and thus how far the old refin goes into the wood. I will keep at it with the 400 and also do the test for lacquer. I am prett6 sure the body is maple, maybe neck also.

It would be highly unlikely for the entire body to be maple... maybe just a maple veneer or maple cap. You should be able to see inside a pickup or control cavit how thick it is. If you don't see any layering of wood, it's likely to be alder, especially if it is unfigured.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightKJ wrote:
fredcapo wrote:

It would be highly unlikely for the entire body to be maple... maybe just a maple veneer or maple cap. You should be able to see inside a pickup or control cavit how thick it is. If you don't see any layering of wood, it's likely to be alder, especially if it is unfigured.

Everything I've found about the K200 bass says maple body. Google is your friend. Wink

Quote:
Summary: Best known for their iconic Tuck and Roll amplifiers, Kustom briefly produced a line of guitars and basses. Made in 1968 and 1969, these unique and rare instruments featured a semi-hollow body of unusual design—the front and back were made separately, hollowed out, then joined together. They have been called the love-child of a Mosrite and a Rickenbacker.

Body: Sandwiched (2-piece) book-matched semi-hollowbody maple construction. Single “cat’s eye” hole.

Neck: Two piece maple bolt-on neck. Rosewood fingerboard with zero fret and dot inlays. Factory screw-mounted metal nut. Kluson tuning machines with clover metal buttons. Short scale. 1 ˝” nut width.

Pickups/Hardware: Two DynaSonic DeArmond single-coil pickups. Compensated bridge. Top-mounted reverse trapeze tailpiece. Two volume and two tone controls with chrome insert black fluted 7-point knobs, 3-way selector switch, white plastic pickguard.

fredcapo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although photos of vintage K200s are few online, from what i have seen its looking like the bodies were done in a trans red or green with a dark grain, and not solid as I thought. Will see where the sanding takes it... thanks for all the interest...
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
BrightKJ wrote:
fredcapo wrote:

Everything I've found about the K200 bass says maple body. Google is your friend. Wink

Quote:
Summary: Best known for their iconic Tuck and Roll amplifiers, Kustom briefly produced a line of guitars and basses. Made in 1968 and 1969, these unique and rare instruments featured a semi-hollow body of unusual design—the front and back were made separately, hollowed out, then joined together. They have been called the love-child of a Mosrite and a Rickenbacker.

Body: Sandwiched (2-piece) book-matched semi-hollowbody maple construction. Single “cat’s eye” hole.

Neck: Two piece maple bolt-on neck. Rosewood fingerboard with zero fret and dot inlays. Factory screw-mounted metal nut. Kluson tuning machines with clover metal buttons. Short scale. 1 ˝” nut width.

Pickups/Hardware: Two DynaSonic DeArmond single-coil pickups. Compensated bridge. Top-mounted reverse trapeze tailpiece. Two volume and two tone controls with chrome insert black fluted 7-point knobs, 3-way selector switch, white plastic pickguard.

I stand corrected... It's still highly unusual due to the weight and density of maple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: