The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acrylic lacquer vs Nitro lacquer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesjkexperience

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Acrylic lacquer vs Nitro lacquer Reply with quote

There are some cool car colors not offered in true nitro so I need a quick lesson in how they work together or not.

1) Is there a different application schedule for acrylic vs nitro?

2) Is there a compatibility issue with these two types of lacquer? Is this the one where one can go on top of the other, but not the other way around?

3) Information I didnít ask about, but is important to know?

Thanks! I can finally make a guitar in that Camero reddish orange or maybe a jazzmaster in sick Dodge Challenger green with a racing stripe.
jkats

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finished my Strat in Duplicolor Acrylic Olympic White with Watco nitro topcoat, I had to mist the first couple of nitro coats on to prevent a wrinkled mess. (Don't ask me how I found that out.) So my takeaway is that you can spray nitro topcoats over acrylic color coats, but mist the topcoat first to minimize bad reactions. YMMV, and I'll be interested to read others' comments.
Lon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrylic lacquer is not recommended over nitro, as it creates a solid film that will not let the nitro gas off. I've used nitro over acrylic lacquer many times, using Dupli-Color Perfect Match colors. There's no difference in applying the color coats, spray 2-3 light coats to get even coloring. I use Dupli-Color Sandable Primer
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon wrote:
Acrylic lacquer is not recommended over nitro, as it creates a solid film that will not let the nitro gas off. I've used nitro over acrylic lacquer many times, using Dupli-Color Perfect Match colors. There's no difference in applying the color coats, spray 2-3 light coats to get even coloring. I use Dupli-Color Sandable Primer

This. Cool
thesjkexperience

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I lucked out and found a small spray can of dupli-color clear in my stash. Hopefully that is it. I sprayed a red sparkle and feel I need a big clear coat thickness so I donít hit the flake at wet sand time.

I know to wait a month for nitro, but it seems the dupli-color should be faster? I suppose there is no hurry now, but how long do you wait with the acrylic? It is good to know if I needed something quickly.
statorvane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I have tried the DupliColor clear and it is junk. You are infinitely better off using a nitro clear coat over the Duplicolor color coats, than trying to use their clear products.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

statorvane wrote:
Frankly, I have tried the DupliColor clear and it is junk. You are infinitely better off using a nitro clear coat over the Duplicolor color coats, than trying to use their clear products.

+1 on this. I've seen their clear stay soft for six months or more, even with putting on light coats.
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found the Behlen vinyl sealer is a good go between. I have used it over waterbase products and the nitro went on fine. No wrinkles, bubbles, weird stuff.

Ladyfinisher
thesjkexperience

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol 😝. Now you tell me!

Do you think shellac would work as a barrier between paint types?

What will be interesting is it is supposed to get down to 18F and is 22F already. Iím not sure if it will stay above freezing in the garage. Last time I had a guitar being sprayed go below freezing about a year later the finish has cracked just like a vintage Les Paul would and not like lens blasting cans shatter at all. Thatís my tip for aging lol.

Iíll let you know how the sparkle tele/JM (tele body shape, bridge pickup, neck, control plate and electronics and Jazzmaster neck pickup, tummy cut, bridge and tremolo) with dupli-color sparkle and clear handles the cold in a few months.
statorvane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't need a barrier between the DupliColor color coat and nitro clear lacquer. You can't go wrong with nitro (ReRanch, MinWax, etc.) over the DupliColor. Plenty of guys here have done that.
SG Lou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KEY to proper application is TIME. You MUST give the acrylic nitro at least a week or two to gas off before you coat it with nitro. I do it all the time, and it works, as long as you wait. The other is you have to mist coat the first two or three coats of nitro over it and letting it dry a day or two before continuing.
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: