The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about adding tinted lacquer to a "satin"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsxman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Question about adding tinted lacquer to a "satin" Reply with quote

So I just received a new 2016 Gibson ES-335 with a satin finish on it. I was hoping for more wood grain (nope) and hoping the satin finish was more vintage looking (nope) so I could replace the chrome hardware with some aged hardware and have a more vintage looking guitar. I dont really care for the "feel" of the satin finish. Very very thin. Also, I would like to give the binding and headstock a bit more of a vintage tint. So I am thinking that I'd like to hit the entire guitar with a few coats of tinted clear and then maybe a few coats of clear.

My question is: is this possible with a new guitar? Is it a bad idea? What would I need to do to prep the guitar?

I know the tinted clear gives the pearl inlays on the headstock a very vintage looking tint.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-335-Satin.aspx
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody else will know exactly what they mean by "Lacquer". It seems to be a pretty broad term these days, nitro? water base? You would need to know for sure and use a compatible product.

On the feel, I bet the finish would buff up to more gloss. That might fix that "feel" you aren't happy with.

To give the binding a more vintage appearance, you would need a top coat of amber. That will make the body go orange. You could mask off the red, but that is a lot of work. The other option would be a very thin brown tint. Then the red would become rusty.

Ladyfinisher
kingsxman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyfinisher wrote:
Maybe somebody else will know exactly what they mean by "Lacquer". It seems to be a pretty broad term these days, nitro? water base? You would need to know for sure and use a compatible product.

On the feel, I bet the finish would buff up to more gloss. That might fix that "feel" you aren't happy with.

To give the binding a more vintage appearance, you would need a top coat of amber. That will make the body go orange. You could mask off the red, but that is a lot of work. The other option would be a very thin brown tint. Then the red would become rusty.

Ladyfinisher

Thanks Ladyfinisher. Needing a compatible product is my biggest worry. What would the tinted clear do to the red?

The feel thing is a "feel" that is caused from there being very little finish on the guitar. Imagine that you can feel the grain of the wood (and holes in the finish). Thats kind of the feel...
What brown would you recommend?
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grain may not be filled if you can see and feel it. I'm not a Gibson expert.
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingsxman wrote:

Thanks Ladyfinisher. Needing a compatible product is my biggest worry. What would the tinted clear do to the red?

The feel thing is a "feel" that is caused from there being very little finish on the guitar. Imagine that you can feel the grain of the wood (and holes in the finish). Thats kind of the feel...
What brown would you recommend?

If worried about what they call their "lacquer " , best to call their customer service and verify if it is nitrocellulose lacquer.

Using tinted clear will turn the red to an orange hue, if sprayed too heavy. Transtint has a new color called Coffee Brown, when mixed and used very thin might give more of a used vintage look to the binding. Not too red, orange or yellow hue. Then spray your top coats, wet sand, and polish to a high gloss. Good luck
#313. Praisegig
kingsxman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for all the replies.
Lon, does transtint come in a rattle can? Looks like its just a dye...which I'm ot really set up to do. (newbie). Are you talking about spraying the entire guitar or taping off just the binding?

What would happen if there was a reaction between the different kinds of laquer? I'm debating on just trying some tinted clear over the headstock to give it that yellowish vintage tint and leave it at that.
Lon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingsxman wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.
Lon, does transtint come in a rattle can? Looks like its just a dye...which I'm ot really set up to do. (newbie). Are you talking about spraying the entire guitar or taping off just the binding? .

TransTint is a dye concentrate that can be added to clear lacquer, to make a toner. You can buy a Preval unit to spray the toner mixture. If you just want the binding to be tinted, then I would buy some narrow pin striping tape at your local auto store, tape off the body side around the edges of the binding, then cover entire body and spray.

kingsxman wrote:

What would happen if there was a reaction between the different kinds of lacquer? I'm debating on just trying some tinted clear over the headstock to give it that yellowish vintage tint and leave it at that.

Again, call customer service to verify the top coating on the body and neck are in fact nitrocellulose lacquer, then you can use ReRanch tinted lacquer for the neck. If you clean the neck good with naptha, then spray, then you shouldn't have any reactions

There are some tips on how to relic here http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=9079
#313. Praisegig
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon,

Dang, I just placed an order, wish I had known about the Coffee Brown. I have been mixing Tobacco and Vintage Amber to do that. It's kind of a pain to get it just right. That Vintage Amber is too harsh for me. It just doesn't look natural.

Ladyfinisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: