The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PRS Employee Guitar build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: PRS Employee Guitar build Reply with quote

Anyone else seen this? A nice detailed looked at how a PRS is built from start to finish. Pretty interesting to see the various build steps (and what they use).

The thread with videos and pics: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/shawns-15-year-employee-guitar-start-to-finish.26606/
Cross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's way too cool
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to do something similar at Kauer Guitars a couple of years ago. Here's the ReRanch thread on that build, if you're curious.

Project Plaid Hammmer
BeeTL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool!
https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitars/
https://www.instagram.com/lowecustomguitars/
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching that PRS thread last night and all of a sudden it was almost 1 am. I still have half to go. I wonder how much a CNC machine like that costs. How many people does that place employ? It sure is impressive.

Still have the other one to watch.

Ladyfinisher
Cobe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool project Dave, it looks great!

I've heard CNC machines can easily run in the thousands (especially nice ones like in the PRS videos, plus all those bits...). A simple 3-axis CNC may be a bit cheaper.

Just found out there's one at the university where I work, with a little bit of training they'll let faculty use it for free. When I'm done with the current build I think I'll try it out. Very Happy
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave, That is a really nice step by step. We are almost neighbors. I am outside of Auburn.

Ladyfinisher
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to read through that topic yet, but I want to.

I was lucky enough to take a tour of the factory at Experience PRS some years back that included some local politicians, so instead of the usual employee, it was done by Jack Higginbotham, the CEO. Not only did we get alot more information that we normally would, I seem to recall he may have mentioned a cost of $100k for the CNC.

The factory is pretty amazing. I've been there for all of the Experience PRS events, and a couple of tours. BTW, I just found an article in 2013 that mentioned 230 employees.
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyfinisher wrote:
BluesmanDave, That is a really nice step by step. We are almost neighbors. I am outside of Auburn.

Ladyfinisher

Hey, cool! Right up the road! You ought to come down and check out Doug's shop at some point if you haven't already. He's in the southeast end of Elk Grove, basically. I'd love to be there if that happens - I've had nothing but good experiences meeting other 'Ranchers. I've really loved the collaborations between you and Mr. Clevername - I bought a guitar from him a few years ago, and I've had the chance to visit him at home a couple times (and bought gear from him) - great guy, and enthusiastic too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: