The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SG Lou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Newbie needs help ! Reply with quote

Yeah you read that right Ladies and Gents. I'm a "newbie"....well for what I'm about to do anyway.
I need your help. I got a hold of a Squire P-Bass FOR FREE and I'm not digging the black body so I want to do a Fender Burst on it.

First of all I'm looking for that 60's Vibe so is it a 2 or 3 tone burst ?

I got the Reranch 2 color Sunburst kit a while ago and decided it was time to put it to good use. Only thing is I NEVER done a Fender style burst.
This is where you, the all knowing, all experienced come into play...

How do I properly go about spraying this ?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi,your my only hope. Laughing Laughing Laughing
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to strip the body back to wood. This will be the base for the amber center coloring, then work the other colors for the burst. I use a lazy susans bearing plate with a tin piece of ply on top surface. This allows me to rotate the body while spraying, making the burst color easier to maintain the even color band. You can find them at any hardware store, I use a 12". Like this
http://www.rockler.com/low-profile-lazy-susans
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help ! Reply with quote

SG Lou wrote:
Yeah you read that right Ladies and Gents. I'm a "newbie"....well for what I'm about to do anyway.
I need your help. I got a hold of a Squire P-Bass FOR FREE and I'm not digging the black body so I want to do a Fender Burst on it.

First of all I'm looking for that 60's Vibe so is it a 2 or 3 tone burst ?

I got the Reranch 2 color Sunburst kit a while ago and decided it was time to put it to good use. Only thing is I NEVER done a Fender style burst.
This is where you, the all knowing, all experienced come into play...

How do I properly go about spraying this ?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi,your my only hope. Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is something I never thought I'd see. Laughing

Prep the stripped body and shoot the amber to the shade you like.

For the burst, the easiest way is to cut a template in the body shape. Stiff cardboard is best, but posterboard works. I have a fiber board template that I use, with four drywall screws to keep it raised off the body.

Lay the body flat and line up the template. Start spraying around the body in light coats so you can check your progress. You'll get the feel for it pretty quick. Get the darkness of color you like, let it dry, then ...

Flip the body and repeat. I use a thin block wrapped in a paper towel to raise the body off the flat surface so there's minimal chance of it sticking to anything.

It's pretty easy, and by varying your spray angle you can compensate for the contouring.

As always, practice on scrap. Wink
SG Lou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie needs help ! Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

This is something I never thought I'd see. Laughing

There's a first time for everything Wink

Thanks Guys....

Lon wrote:
The best way is to strip the body back to wood.

And Lon, Of course i'm gonna strip the body first. You didn't think I was going to do this over the Black polyester finish did you ? LOL

and thanks for tip on the lazy susan thing...i have one and i'll use it !
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I didn't see who was posting, I just saw "newbie". You are far from a newbie, as your posts over the years that attests to your skills. Good luck with the bursts. 👍👍
#313. Praisegig
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it better to use a real black spray on the edge, rather than trying to make the dark color of the two color kit black with multiple passes as is suggested on the products page.

I've tried using templates, but found for me, freehand worked the best. The transitions blend better - but this is, no doubt, a 'me' issue, because mark's comet perfect. Doing free hand also results in overspray in the center, usually. Which I am fine with, but YMMV.

FYI, I've started doing bursts with water based dyes. Find it more forgiving, and enjoyable. But also, not nearly as authentic as the RR colors.
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you also remember,
you might not like what you see under the black poly...
Likely not burst worthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: