The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing bad refinish without affecting original lacquer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are wet sanding it shouldn't be all that wet. The places you need to really worry about are around the holes and neck pocket.

Your paper should be just wet enough that there is a THIN wet layer where you are sanding. Sand a small area, about 3x3 at a time. I have a rag for wiping down after every area and while I am sanding around holes. If the water is running, it's too much. If you are really concerned, plug the holes with something. Bee's wax, plumber putty, etc. to keep the water out of the holes. Those areas will be the first spots to give you a problem if the area is too wet.

Ladyfinisher
The Groke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics:

There was a little surprise beneath the black: THE REBELS. So the layers are actually gold, then red, then THE REBELS, then this is all covered over with black. The white on this was pretty tough to sand off. The black is also rather uneven, so I am going in small sections using 600 grit till I get clear to the red. The red seems to come off much more easily than the black, so I am stopping at that point. I'll tackle that layer with the 1200 grit I suppose. The gold does not seem to be very thick - so I'm still concerned about getting through the red evenly without rubbing off all the gold in spots. Any additional tips?

I read one post which stated that wet sanding metallic finishes doesn't work so well - you end up with a brushed metal look. And I can see how that is happening in the numerous small spots where I broke through. Still... I suppose it's better than nothing.

Last edited by The Groke on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
bildo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story developing here. Who are the Rebels? Very Happy
The Groke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can imagine that there were probably lots of bands called "The Rebels". The surf and rockabilly hits that come up don't seem like the type to stencil their name on a red guitar (though one has a stencil on a bass drum head). I looked for a while, in case I was about to sand off a little history. The red paint on this guitar has some crazing though... so I guess the paint job is/was pretty old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: