The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sourcing bodies and necks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me. I've never seen one like that before.
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
RnB wrote:
Warmoth:

Never seen a Warmoth neck like that. All mine have been like this:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=4&Path=Tele&i=vmt9291#.Wej_YWiPKM8

Is that something new?

WoW... Been dealing w/ Warmoth for over 20 years & never seen or gotten a heel shaped like that Mark? Mine have always been the 'rounded type'. It's one reason why I went to MK for their necks.

These are fairly old Warmoth necks. The maple skunk stripe is one B4 they put the Hdstk Adj on the Hdstk. It's at the heel (old school).

I've even tried to shape the heel to be more consistent with F-der's & had little success. All the other Warmoth necks I've received have always been the rounded type?

Won't let me post a Pic?
linky: https://i.imgur.com/rEThKrU.jpg?2

Last edited by RnB on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post...
tnt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love warmoth necks. But I think all parts are a close second.
JaminJames

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sourcing bodies and necks Reply with quote

Tele Savalas wrote:
Have had many years of excellent product and service from my friend Tommy at USACG, but ever since he sold the business, service has suffered considerably and I've received a couple of true lemons which gone to the land-fill. Looking for a suitable alternative and I do NOT like Warmoth's necks. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Man, I just put in an order with USACG because they've been so highly recommended to me. This is the first I've heard of it being under new ownership.

Is Tommy still with the company? I emailed several questions before I ordered my neck, and received several responses from a Tommy, I just assumed it was the same Tommy.

What did the sale of the business entail? New employees? New machines? New Wood suppliers? They quoted me a 10-12 week wait time. I don't want to wait that long if I'm not going to receive the same quality neck and body that I've read about on every forum.

You've got me feeling nervous!
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality should still be there. Tommy is still running the show, but his boss is stretching everybody too thin, hence the doubling of the wait time.
marksound

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTICE: One Eyed Jack Guitars has a new email address. DO NOT send Paypal to the old address. His domain name was stolen out from under him, and is now owned by some jagoff in BFE. Mad

New email: kevin@oejguitars.com
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been very happy with my bodies from USACustomGuitars. The wood was excellent and they even did an order for me that was custom.

I had them cut the body so the bookmatch line was on the treble side of the strings.

I got two Strat bodies and two Tele bodies. But the last order was 2009.

I have been very happy with an AllParts fat, 1" Tele neck.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used at least 20 or 30 bodies (and matching necks) from USACG, and several from Warmoth. Warmoth has had more body options, and that is when I would default to them. But the USACG necks have always been superior for me. I have had to replace 3 Warmoth necks with USACG necks. USACG has done many creative custom orders for me, some with exotic wood that I have sent them. The service was always spot-on.

I felt happy for Tommy when he told me he had sold the company but would remain on to run the shop. This was several months ago, perhaps a year.

The new owner has his own line of guitars and has probably pushed for more contracts with other larger companies, and as a result, they are really backed up and Tommy is working super-long days and nights. I am not so happy for him these days. He told me in a message that there were some positive things on the horizon despite all of the current issues, and that he would talk to me on the phone soon.
JaminJames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Just wanted to give a quick update if anyone was interested. I had posted a while ago a little bit concerned about my neck order from USACG.

I got my neck in the day after Thanksgiving. It came much earlier than expected. They quoted me close to 12 weeks, but I got in exactly 7, down to the day.

I couldn't be happier. It's really gorgeous. The fret work is way above what I was expecting, which is going to save me money when I take it in to my luthier to have it set up. The specs are: 7.25" radius, 6130 frets, ebony fingerboard on roasted quater-sawn maple. I went with one of their custom thicknesses, "The '62" (a C shape, .820" at the first fret and a custom taper). Everything about it is perfect. The roasted maple is soft and silky. And it's SO light. Haven't put it on the scale yet, but I will soon.

Here are some quick pictures I snapped when I got in to the studio this morning. They really don't do it justice though.

Looking forward to ordering again soon!!

https://imgur.com/a/hGc4R
57greg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Necks and Bodies Reply with quote

I use to buy my necks from Joe (aka Jack Daniels) when he was in business.

I have bought several from Tommy and Musikraft, both top notch.

I buy my bodies from Marc Rutters and his price is great along with his stash of wood. You can ask for anything and he will build it, just a great person to deal with.

He is busy and usually takes a month or so but really worth the wait.
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought several Lighweight 1-piece Swamp Ash bodies from ebay seller jtmullet. In his listings, he said Contact him if you're interested in bodies. He hasn't had any current listings so, I'm not sure if he's still in the biz.
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jtmullet&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=positive&interval=365

These are great body's all done w/ 50's specs (contours, routs...etc) & great (figure/graining).

https://i.imgur.com/5LwAGg1.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/i10M4lO.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/ocXB5X4.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/5BH38ax.jpg?1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: