The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feels like a Ghost Town here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twangster

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a lot of forums, the higher the membership gets , the less posts from the folks who were "core" members ?

I've been busy with studio work and am about to kick back in on a few projects. Still visit because it's a " get your hands dirty" kind of place, unlike a lot of guitar groups and forums were "experts " are usually writing from their office cubicle.
Seanwimer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I check in every day to see how things are going... I recently bought A house and had two kids in the last two years so my free time/money has been taken up with all that ..
rickrob

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been pretty quiet around here... I still check in frequently. About to start back up on my Kay Value Leader style project from late last year.
eljay

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few nice pieces on my repair bench here and there, but the time for personal projects never seems to materialize. Got a Masonite Tele/Dano mashup still waiting in the wings...As soon as I get back into it you guys will be the first to know Cool

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "old-timer" checking in from the Great Beyond. Laughing

Still do some lurking to see what's happening. Like many others, life has just steered my attention away from guitar related activities. In fact, I haven't even played in a couple of years. Currently only have one guitar built by our pal, Marksound...and unfortunately, that's been a wall-hanger in my eldest son's bedroom. Embarassed

My mother passed away in May or 2015 after a 6 year battle with ovarian cancer. She lived in our home for the last 8 years of her life. My sons had a hard time with their Nana being gone. I flaked out for a while. Luckily, my wife kept us all sane and moving forward. Been coming out of my funk recently.

Haven't loss the desire to tinker. Keeping busy with projects at home and my latest interest...vintage mini bikes. Hondas, in fact. Currently working on a 1982 C70 Passport and a 1979 Z50 that belongs to a buddy. Eventually, I'd like to find a CT70 or an XR75 and get those road ready. One of these days.

Occasionally think about getting back into guitars. When I do, I'll probably hit the major food groups...Strat, Tele, SG and maybe a Flying V. Probably grab a Princeton and a small Marshall or Orange amp. Biggest obstacle to playing again has been a nagging rotator cuff injury. Flares up a couple times a year. Actually have some numbness in my left thumb and forefinger. Not quite sure how that would affect my ability to play.

Wife is good, kids are good. My eldest son is graduating 8th grade next week. He's only 14 but he's already 6'1" and wears a size 13 shoe. (I'm 6'2" and wear a size 13, but 47 years old.) Laughing Youngest son is finishing 6th grade. As some of you may remember, both my kids are on the spectrum, but they've made tremendous strides in their school work and development. Oldest boy will be in Honors classes going into high school. Youngest has occasional behavioral hiccups, but he's whip-smart and doing well. My wife and I are extremely proud of both of them. Their musical tastes...well, let's just say that the apples didn't fall far from the trees. Beatles, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are in constant rotation. Little guy is a little more adventurous when it comes to music, so we bond over bands like Goatwhore, Sun and Sail Cub and Trouble. (What can I say...doom is fun!)

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the most important event of the past few years. The goddamn Chicago Cubs won the goddamn World Series. Yes my friends, there is royal blue blood running through my veins. I visited my grandfather's grave after every playoff win. My mom's urn was with me during every game. My kids missed their regular bed times when necessary. Funny thing is, I never watched a single play on television. I listen to every game on the radio...just as I have done for the last 40 odd years. When the drama finally ended, I cried. Cried with my wife. Cried with my kids. Cried at the cemetery. And then...pure jubilation. The entire off-season was nothing but celebration. It was a genuine high whenever I thought about the 2016 season. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about the enormity of the situation.

Anyway...enough rambling. Once I finish up some remodeling and furniture builds, I might have to start rounding up some parts and slap a Strat or Tele together and start making some delicious distorted noise.

Good to see some other "old-timers" checking in. Hope to contribute something useful to the board in the near future. I can't guarantee and fabric finished double neck monsters or Danelectro copies made from construction lumber, but something noisy and something sonic blue will definitely be necessary sometime soon.

Keep the beer cold...keep the fuzz silicon-y...keep the bugs out of the damn clear coats!

Cheers!

Twisted Evil
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Aaron...and you aren't the only one that had tears of joy when that series was over, I still get choked up. Thinking about it.
Basshappi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I qualify as an "old-timer" but I'm still here.
marksound

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaid Sabbath wrote:
Another "old-timer" checking in from the Great Beyond. Laughing

Still do some lurking to see what's happening. Like many others, life has just steered my attention away from guitar related activities. In fact, I haven't even played in a couple of years. Currently only have one guitar built by our pal, Marksound...and unfortunately, that's been a wall-hanger in my eldest son's bedroom. Embarassed

My mother passed away in May or 2015 after a 6 year battle with ovarian cancer. She lived in our home for the last 8 years of her life. My sons had a hard time with their Nana being gone. I flaked out for a while. Luckily, my wife kept us all sane and moving forward. Been coming out of my funk recently.

Haven't loss the desire to tinker. Keeping busy with projects at home and my latest interest...vintage mini bikes. Hondas, in fact. Currently working on a 1982 C70 Passport and a 1979 Z50 that belongs to a buddy. Eventually, I'd like to find a CT70 or an XR75 and get those road ready. One of these days.

Occasionally think about getting back into guitars. When I do, I'll probably hit the major food groups...Strat, Tele, SG and maybe a Flying V. Probably grab a Princeton and a small Marshall or Orange amp. Biggest obstacle to playing again has been a nagging rotator cuff injury. Flares up a couple times a year. Actually have some numbness in my left thumb and forefinger. Not quite sure how that would affect my ability to play.

Wife is good, kids are good. My eldest son is graduating 8th grade next week. He's only 14 but he's already 6'1" and wears a size 13 shoe. (I'm 6'2" and wear a size 13, but 47 years old.) Laughing Youngest son is finishing 6th grade. As some of you may remember, both my kids are on the spectrum, but they've made tremendous strides in their school work and development. Oldest boy will be in Honors classes going into high school. Youngest has occasional behavioral hiccups, but he's whip-smart and doing well. My wife and I are extremely proud of both of them. Their musical tastes...well, let's just say that the apples didn't fall far from the trees. Beatles, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are in constant rotation. Little guy is a little more adventurous when it comes to music, so we bond over bands like Goatwhore, Sun and Sail Cub and Trouble. (What can I say...doom is fun!)

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the most important event of the past few years. The goddamn Chicago Cubs won the goddamn World Series. Yes my friends, there is royal blue blood running through my veins. I visited my grandfather's grave after every playoff win. My mom's urn was with me during every game. My kids missed their regular bed times when necessary. Funny thing is, I never watched a single play on television. I listen to every game on the radio...just as I have done for the last 40 odd years. When the drama finally ended, I cried. Cried with my wife. Cried with my kids. Cried at the cemetery. And then...pure jubilation. The entire off-season was nothing but celebration. It was a genuine high whenever I thought about the 2016 season. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about the enormity of the situation.

Anyway...enough rambling. Once I finish up some remodeling and furniture builds, I might have to start rounding up some parts and slap a Strat or Tele together and start making some delicious distorted noise.

Good to see some other "old-timers" checking in. Hope to contribute something useful to the board in the near future. I can't guarantee and fabric finished double neck monsters or Danelectro copies made from construction lumber, but something noisy and something sonic blue will definitely be necessary sometime soon.

Keep the beer cold...keep the fuzz silicon-y...keep the bugs out of the damn clear coats!

Cheers!

Twisted Evil

Hey bud, good to see ya.

Is this the wall hanger? Could be worse. Wink

Old Black

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tell you, I cried like a baby when Bryant picked up that grounder and threw to Risso. Lot of memories of my mom and dad, who bled Cubbie blue all their lives and never saw it happen. Me too. I was on a business trip in Philly and I watched the whole 7th game with my kids and wife on the phone at the other end (I did fall asleep a bit during the rain delay). The TV in the hotel room was on a 3 second delay and my kids were screaming before the grounder. I still get choked up about it.

People told me if the Cubs won, it would never be the same. I know one thing now - they were soooo wrong. It's magnificent.
RandyM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone giving us a run down what you have been doing.

RandyM wrote:
Hey guys!
Get anything new Randy? I could count on you and 86runner sharing your latest purchases. Laughing
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked in cuz I saw a Marksound guitar in a TV commercial with Payton Manning.

Cool.
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Glenda are getting ready for the World Championship Chili Cook Off in Terlingua, Texas. Got to get the big truck back on the road to carry our show stuff.
frostyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. Busy life with 3 teenagers. Lots of activities and games. No new builds. Still play lots of old ones though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: