The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicating faded cherry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Duplicating faded cherry Reply with quote

Hey everybody. If I was going to try to recreate a very faded cherry with Bill's rattlecans like in the pic below, what would you recommend? The Gibson cherry with lots of sun? Or just go straight to an amber clear over the mahogany?

BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is speaking with conjecture rather than experience, but I have to imagine that a darkish amber would get you where you're going. If you take the deeply faded '50s flamedtop LPs as an example of fading effects on old Gibson finishes, the red is completely gone for all practical purposes, and all that remains is the amber tint of the yellowed clear. The same must be true of super faded Junior finishes.
greens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
This is speaking with conjecture rather than experience, but I have to imagine that a darkish amber would get you where you're going. If you take the deeply faded '50s flamedtop LPs as an example of fading effects on old Gibson finishes, the red is completely gone for all practical purposes, and all that remains is the amber tint of the yellowed clear. The same must be true of super faded Junior finishes.

Thanks, that is my thinking here too.
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the red on those 50's mahogany guitars came from a colored grain filler as well.
Amber on mahogany doesn't really do much.
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if one of Bill's colors will work, but I know that Stew Mac's Red Mahogany will get you close.

greens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action-Cashin wrote:
Much of the red on those 50's mahogany guitars came from a colored grain filler as well.

Good to know, thanks! Is there still a nitro-compatible red grain filler available, as far as you know?
greens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
I don't know if one of Bill's colors will work, but I know that Stew Mac's Red Mahogany will get you close.

thanks, that looks great! I have a can of Bill's already, so I guess I'll try it first and maybe fall back on Stewmac if it doesn't work out.
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greens wrote:
Action-Cashin wrote:

Good to know, thanks! Is there still a nitro-compatible red grain filler available, as far as you know?

I made my own with BLO, pumice, and powdered aniline dye.
greens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
greens wrote:
Action-Cashin wrote:

I made my own with BLO, pumice, and powdered aniline dye.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: