The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best glue to stick wood veneer to pick guard material?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Best glue to stick wood veneer to pick guard material? Reply with quote

need to laminate wood veneer to plastic pick guard material....thoughts?

Gorilla glue claims it will word, but label mentions that it is not for use with polypropylene (PP) or polyethylene (PE) and I don't know if pick guard material is either of those two....
Jazzmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try some contact cement, since it should be compatible with both materials. A little scuffing of the pickguard for good measure would be wise.
69formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would try some contact cement, since it should be compatible with both materials. A little scuffing of the pickguard for good measure would be wise.

I second this motion.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use Speed Tape (by Fastcap). Cool
Jib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glued pickguard material to plywood (for making a small fixture) with Devcon 2 ton epoxy or superglue.

I can't remember which, but one of them worked Wink I'm about 90% sure that it was 2 ton epoxy.

I would go with the Devcon. Make sure you get the 2 ton and NOT the five minute, unless you don't mind working under pressure. Nothing like epoxy setting up and getting leathery before you have your parts aligned properly.

Mix it up really good (I usually mix it on a scrap piece of cardboard or thick paper). Get an even spread. No need to go crazy thick on it.

And wait a little for it to start setting up before you clean up any excess. Mineral spirits will do the trick. You just don't want to clean up excess with mineral spirits before it starts to set up a bit, because it'll dilute the strength of the epoxy if you get it in there while it's too wet. I usually wait something like 10 minutes or so with the 2 ton epoxy (clock starts ticking after you mix the hardener and resin together) before I clean up any squeeze-out.

I recently did a wooden pickguard laminate: cherry in the middle, mahogany on the bottom and top. Made a "press" out of two squares of MDF, and a 25lb weight. I used the Devcon 2 ton epoxy for that too and it worked excellently. I was actually shocked at how professional it looked. That epoxy is really strong stuff.

That's wood-on-wood, but the pickguard-on-wood worked equally well.

It works. Big time.

By the way, my favorite, and what I recommend, is the individual bottles. The big 2 bottle pack of epoxy. They're just easier to work with than the toothpaste style tubes, or the double syringe, IMO. A little more money up front but easier to pour out equal amounts, and you get a lot more too.

And I would also recommend to scuff the pickguard, as advised earlier. A gray scotch brite pad works well.

But that epoxy GRABS.

I would not recommend Gorilla Glue, as I've heard that it expands as it sets up. The Devcon will not do that. You want your veneer to stay exactly where you lay it out when you stick it down and apply pressure.
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with contact cement. set it up yesterday. Won't get back to it till next week probably - will let you know how it worked.
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact cement worked great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: