The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with sand-through

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccondon23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Help with sand-through Reply with quote

I was shooting some reranch tinted clear and got the look I wanted. However, before I started with the regular clear coats, I sanded through the tinted clear in a couple of spots, like this:

Can I fix this just by lightly spraying the tinted clear in the areas where I sanded through? Or will that darked the surrounding areas too much?

Thanks,
Chris
Lon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try taping off and spraying more tinted clear in short burst over the areas until comes close to the surrounding area. IMO, coloring on guitars have natural variations of tint, it wouldn't really bother me, especially on neck from wear
#313. Praisegig
Jib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Lon's comment.

I'll add that if you tape it off, "blush eraser" can help. I think it's just lacquer retarder in a spray can. If you have any witness lines after you take the tape off, that can help blend them in. Just a light mist can help. But in this case it probably isn't necessary, just an option in case you need it.

Just tape it off, start farther away than you think you need to be, mist some tinted clear on, and see how the color lays out.

I wouldn't touch it after that. And if the tape leaves lines, short of using the blush eraser in a light mist, I wouldn't touch it either. Just spray some clear coats on *first*, and if you need to do some sanding, do it then. I'd just wait to see how the clear levels things out (sometimes I'm surprised at how self-leveling lacquer can be).

Let us know if you get it sorted out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: