The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If this lacquer feels gummy after a week....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeauZeau

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: If this lacquer feels gummy after a week.... Reply with quote

Hello.

I used some old spraycan lacquer to touch up a repair. It potentially will look okay after some smoothing but it feels gummy after a week. Does this mean bad or stale paint? Do I have to wait a year before feathering the edges? Should I wash it off and use something else? If so, what?

Thanks
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be bad nitro but usually doesn't go bad. If you can, wait 3 more weeks and then do the fingernail test. It might cure out hard by then
#313. Praisegig
BeauZeau

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks.
Jib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with shellac for touch up repairs. Transtint dyes (or the Colortone dyes that Stewmac sells, same thing) blend perfectly with them.

Every time I use it, it sets up fast, and relatively hard. Buffing it out with Meguiar's no. 7 mirror glaze and a rag seems to bring out some shine.

Formby's or Tru-Oil seem to adhere very well over shellac too, if you need some extra gloss. I've had Formby's stay gummy for a long time, but if I wipe it off and then put a coat of shellac on, it adheres better and dries fast.

In a perfect world, I've found airbrushing it on works best. I just use a cheap Badger airbrush, one of those little glass jars and a metal cap from Badger, as I find the airbrush seats a lot better with those.

I haven't mastered wiping or brushing shellac on, but it can be done. I've even dabbed it on with a paper towel with OK results.

When I'm doing light finishes I'll put shellac and olive oil on a rag and wipe it on. Not sure if the olive oil is a good idea on a touchup repair but it does help the shellac "glide" without sticking and it seems to lay on more evenly.

I haven't tried the plain Zinsser shellac (non pigmented) but I'd imagine you could use it just like home-mixed shellac. I'd imagine one of those Preval aerosol cans could shoot shellac if you don't have access to a gun. I've been tempted to try the Zinsser in a gun.

Grain alcohol and shellac are expensive. Might be worth trying a can of the plain Zinsser shellac and a Preval sprayer if you don't have a compressor setup.

Either way, if you're not familiar with shellac, it'll be great to get acquainted with. It's had a pretty big impact on my touchup repairs since I tried it for the first time, when I only had experience with nitro lacquer previously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: