The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poly(ester) vs Poly(urethane) Question for 1974 Strat neck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MapleOnMaple

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Poly(ester) vs Poly(urethane) Question for 1974 Strat neck Reply with quote

I asked this question several years ago on the forum but didn't get a clear answer. I'm looking at restoring an old 1974 Strat neck that had all sorts of nonsense sprayed on it.

When I asked a few years ago, I was told the Poly I was referring to was Polyurethane but many articles cite Polyester as the appropriate finish.

Has anyone done this and can someone help with a spray can version of Polyester that I may use on my guitar neck?

I also found this article by a Fender MasterBuilder that mentioned Fender using Nitro on top of a Polyester basecoat.

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/mark-kendrick-master-builder-poly-nitro.161528/

Shala-la-la-la-la-la...Mmmmmm
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray lacquer of the 1970's fender finish. No problem I've encountered.
Lon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you will find a spray can version of Fullerplast or Polyester,as both need to use a catalyst for hardening. Too much trouble IMO.

If it were me, I would repair the neck, color if needed, then apply a Truoil finish. Just as hard, easy application and best of all, really slick when finished
#313. Praisegig
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon wrote:
Don't think you will find a spray can version of Fullerplast or Polyester,as both need to use a catalyst for hardening. Too much trouble IMO.

If it were me, I would repair the neck, color if needed, then apply a Truoil finish. Just as hard, easy application and best of all, really slick when finished

This man speaks the truth.

There's so much confusion and misinformation about the 50s-60s Fender sealer coats, it's crazy to try to replicate it.

The best thing to do, especially on a neck, is make the finish as hard and thin as possible.

Unless you're going for an EVH thing, then almost no finish is the thing.
MapleOnMaple

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Sad I think I'm gonna go cry in myself to sleep. Wish there was a polyester in a can option out there.

I suppose I will hit it up with Polyurethane and Nitro over it.

MapleOnMaple

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work??!!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/KUS-KPP177-QT.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhKN-oy9WpobpGzLIiag8ofbHFImKtKuizxPd87U7lhJZ1HtJV85HEEaAhnXEALw_wcB#.WZ8s6T7frcs

jp-90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only refinished two necks, but I had a lot of luck using Minwax wiping poly on both. When I was asking about it at Woodcraft I had two different guys tell me they hate all minwax products EXCEPT their wiping poly. Ha!

i wiped on about 10 coats (3 or 4 a day when I had the time), then let it dry 3 days after the last coat, then buffed it with a green scotchbrite pad for a fast, satin finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: