The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sealing spalted maple with Z-Poxy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Sealing spalted maple with Z-Poxy? Reply with quote

So I've put two coats of Z-poxy on a spalted maple/walnut body. Seems to be doing a good job as a grain filler, but my question is, since I an sanding between coats with 220 on an random orbital sander - my regular process for grain filling - am I still sealing the spalted maple well enough to harden the wood?

Thanks.
Lon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only done 2 basses with spalted tops with Z-poxy, both came out great. I applied the first really wet and let it soak in for 2 hours. Went light on the edges of the flats, mostly filling the field of the flats. After curing overnight, came back with another coat this time with a light scrapping to remove excess, focusing on the low spots. Let cure overnight and then level sanded to 220, then 320.

To answer your question maybe, the Z-poxy only fills and hardens the wood in the open soft areas. Where the heartwood is, the surface is pretty close grain, it only fills the minute openings only as far as the grain will let it flow. The overall hardness is only due to the thickness of the film on top. If that makes sense......
#313. Praisegig
tnt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon wrote:
I've only done 2 basses with spalted tops with Z-poxy, both came out great. I applied the first really wet and let it soak in for 2 hours. Went light on the edges of the flats, mostly filling the field of the flats. After curing overnight, came back with another coat this time with a light scrapping to remove excess, focusing on the low spots. Let cure overnight and then level sanded to 220, then 320.

To answer your question maybe, the Z-poxy only fills and hardens the wood in the open soft areas. Where the heartwood is, the surface is pretty close grain, it only fills the minute openings only as far as the grain will let it flow. The overall hardness is only due to the thickness of the film on top. If that makes sense......

Thanks Lon - so when you say you 'level sanded' did you leave a coating of the epoxy over everything? Or did you live sound down to the wood like you would with a regular grain filler?
bigandtall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had success with this: http://www.totalboat.com/product/totalboat-epoxy-kits/
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
Thanks Lon - so when you say you 'level sanded' did you leave a coating of the epoxy over everything? Or did you live sound down to the wood like you would with a regular grain filler?

I level sanded enough to remove the high areas over the entire surface, wasn't worried about low spots on the first application. I wasn't very aggressive on this level sand, just enough to get surface fairly flat, with even scratch pattern over most of the surface. The second application should take care of the low spots.
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: