The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Candy Tangerine Nitro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Candy Tangerine Nitro Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is anything special, or any place to get something special to make a solid color candy tangerine in nitro. I see a lot of product out there for this, but it isn't nitro.

It looks like it needs a solid color gold under coat and an orange clear coat. But, is there anything special? I think I saw some place that did a metalic gold undercoat.

Ladyfinisher

[/img]http://imgur.com/rnBsUtJ[img][/img]

Last edited by ladyfinisher on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this thread? http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=40497&sid=d8e07a44c5d88188ef3882c83ed705bd
#313. Praisegig
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the color, but they want nitro. I didn't think that nitro could go over those products. Can it?

Ladyfinisher?
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have spray rig, get a pint of urethane base coat, use lacquer reducer and mix/spray. Then you can use nitro clear coats

House of Kolors has a ready to spray acrylic lacquer candy system KBC08 , spray then use nitro clears
#313. Praisegig
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility for consideration
http://gobigbrain.com/candy-color-tangerine-fire-orange
#313. Praisegig
C5000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out the site Paint with Pearl, they have a lot of additives that might work with nitro by adding it to the clear.

If you use HOK or Kustom Shop products, I would use the reducers and whatnot from their system to ensure compatibility and performance.

Why are they insisting on nitro? Do they want it to yellow and crack? You can spray just as thin with urethane.
Gatorcountry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reranch orange over inca silver or shoreline gold?
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink this.

A hot candy is trans over gold. A cool candy is trans over silver. (My descriptions.)

Most base coat colors can be cleared with nitro. Look at what Fender did with the custom colors in the 50s. All the base coats were acrylic lacquer topcoated with nitro. The solvents for acrylic and nitro are the same.

Look at 2K urethanes. The solvents are, for the most part, the same as lacquers.

Enamels are a different category, and not generally compatible. Completely different animals.

You can use nitro clear over other lacquer and urethane basecoats. You can use 2K urethane over nitro too.

Read the MSDS for the products you're using and look for common threads.
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I don't know why they would want nitro so bad. It seems to me that there would be better options.

Thanks, Mark, I didn't know I could mix products that way. I think I need to stay away from that gobigbrain.com. I could go nuts with ideas over there. LOL

Ladyfinisher
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladyfinisher wrote:
Thanks for the help. I don't know why they would want nitro so bad. It seems to me that there would be better options.

Thanks, Mark, I didn't know I could mix products that way. I think I need to stay away from that gobigbrain.com. I could go nuts with ideas over there. LOL

Ladyfinisher

Everything else aside, a nitro finish feels different than a 2K or "poly" finish. It's subtle, but it's there.

You can do a 2K finish as thin as nitro, but it doesn't age the same. That's what some people want. The aging.

I don't argue with people. I tell them what I can do, and what the results will be for what they're asking for. Then it's up to them to decide. If they want something unreasonable, I don't take the job.

At my age, I have zero tolerance for the drama. Wink
bert123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5000 wrote:
You can check out the site Paint with Pearl, they have a lot of additives that might work with nitro by adding it to the clear.

If you use HOK or Kustom Shop products, I would use the reducers and whatnot from their system to ensure compatibility and performance.

I have been meaning to reply earlier but lost the ability to post links from Photobucket and can't seem to get smaller sized images from imgur except for the full size upload from my phone. Also my phone doesn't seem to get the color correct either, arggh.

Anyway, I am in process on this one.
Reranch primer first.
Dark gold pearl from Paint with Pearl and .004 x .004 bright gold flake from Kustom shop. I sprayed these metallics, pearl then dusting the flake, using a Preval sprayer with the filter removed from the dip tube.
Then dusted on Reranch clear to lock in the flake per much advise from this forum.
The color is TransTint orange in nitro sprayed thru my spray rig (Makita 2.5 HP Compressor and a SprayIt SP-33500 LVLP mini gun) then clear thru the spray rig. Nitro is the MiniWax black can brushing lacquer 4:1 nitro to thinner.

This is my second body using the spray rig so I am still playing with the ratio of the lacquer thinner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: