The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is going on here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: what is going on here? Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what is going on here. There is an issue in the lacquer finish of my Junior - it looks like craters but the surface is still smooth to the touch.

I just bought it used so I don't know what the history is. But the surface of the finish is perfect. If I had to guess I'd say this is some sort of problem that developed under the surface without any kind of impact.

[/img]
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone tried to fill some dings with color, then cleared over.

I can see sanding scratches, maybe a witness line too. Hard to tell. Could be a reflection on that last part.
greens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Is that a fool's errand or did they just screw it up? I actually have a can of Pelham Blue myself, I could attempt a fix also, unless it's a dumb idea.
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to you. I might just go ahead and ding it up some more. Wink
greens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to fix it at least in theory? what would i do?
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us to give better opinions and suggestions, a couple more pics might help. For example, those blemishes appear to be in a fairly straight line with each other, along with the fact that they are near some apparently no longer used screw holes. If we saw where they are located on the guitar, we may have a better clue as to what caused it, and therefore, a more thoughtful and definitive bit of advice!

Thanks,
Gene
greens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ballzz wrote:
For us to give better opinions and suggestions, a couple more pics might help. For example, those blemishes appear to be in a fairly straight line with each other, along with the fact that they are near some apparently no longer used screw holes. If we saw where they are located on the guitar, we may have a better clue as to what caused it, and therefore, a more thoughtful and definitive bit of advice!

Thanks,
Gene

Sure thing, thanks!

They are pretty random little blobs to my eyes. What looked like screw holes in the first pic are actually other little flaws under the clear coat, which is also perfectly smooth there.
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh...If you are going to play that guitar a bit I don't think I would worry about those blemishes. If it's more of a keep at home show piece, then I think you have a fair amount of work ahead of you. I don't thin you could just spot finish those blemishes I would thin you have to refinish the whole top at least.

Can't imagine you could match the color perfect at this point, and that is putting aside the underlying cause of the blemish...that alone might take sanding down to bare wood to figure out.
The Ballzz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty cool looking guitar. I 'm guessing it's not an actual Gibson? Any idea what the finger board is made of? Is it Pau Ferro? I'd just play it and put a few of my own "flaws" on it!
Just Sayin'
Gene
greens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
Gosh...If you are going to play that guitar a bit I don't think I would worry about those blemishes. If it's more of a keep at home show piece, then I think you have a fair amount of work ahead of you. I don't thin you could just spot finish those blemishes I would thin you have to refinish the whole top at least.

Can't imagine you could match the color perfect at this point, and that is putting aside the underlying cause of the blemish...that alone might take sanding down to bare wood to figure out.

Definitely playing it. Was planning to spot refinish if that was an option but it sounds like it wouldn't be. At least without more trouble than I care to go to.

I don't mind a little wear, and I'll probably just live with it, but something about the fact that these are flaws *under* a smooth finish just rubs me the wrong way. It is like a zit I wish I could pop.

Last edited by greens on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
greens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ballzz wrote:
That's a pretty cool looking guitar. I 'm guessing it's not an actual Gibson? Any idea what the finger board is made of? Is it Pau Ferro? I'd just play it and put a few of my own "flaws" on it!
Just Sayin'
Gene

It is a real Gibson. Supposedly that year they were made with either baked maple or obeche, but honestly I can't tell it apart from rosewood whatever it is.
rickrob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greens wrote:

Definitely playing it. Was planning to spot refinish if that was an option but it sounds like it wouldn't be. At least without more trouble than I care to go to.

I don't mind a little wear, and I'll probably just live with it, but something about the fact that these are flaws *under* a smooth finish just rubs me the wrong way. It is like a zit I wish I could pop.

You'd have to at least refinish the top side. I'd just play it, or put a decal or something over the flaws
greens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrob wrote:
greens wrote:

You'd have to at least refinish the top side. I'd just play it, or put a decal or something over the flaws

Thanks, I think I'd only go to all that trouble if I wanted to do it for its own sake, and use the Pelham Blue can I have. Which I might do at some point, but not now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: