The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asking for a friend, REALLY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybones

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Asking for a friend, REALLY Reply with quote

There's a guy over on strat talk who wants to change the color of his trans green Yamaha Pacifica to amber trans.

He seems to think he can "just sand off the green", then use ochre dye to get the color he wants (goes between honey, butterscotch and blonde, so I'm thinking a vintage yellowed clear tint is what he's after).

I posted a link to 101, and recommended the forum here, but he's still asking questions over there.

I replied (first one) to his thread telling him that I thought he'd have to go back to bare wood then do whatever it needs as far as sealing. He thinks its alder, and I don't know if that's a wood that needs sealing first.

He's latched on to me as a finishing expert, and PM's me with questions.

What steps would you all recommend to change a trans green guitar to vintage yellow clear coat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, that if you don't really know or aren't sure you shouldn't be putting yourself first in line to help him. He latched on to you with a lot of your encouragement.

Tell him to start a thread here so that those with lots of experience can look at his pics and whatnot and give him a finishing schedule. Otherwise, it's going to be on him, and none of this is as easy as ...."all you gotta do is...."

Sometimes people need to do it their way, get other people to take responsibility, etc. Then it goes to poop, and maybe we never hear from him again or maybe he works and works at it...if that's an interest of his.
jaybones

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did direct him here. Even linked 101 and suggested he join and start a thread.

And never told him I was an expert.

Told him that I would strip and start from bare wood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: