The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Project - LPB Jazzmaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Latest Project - LPB Jazzmaster Reply with quote

Finished this one the other day. This did NOT want to be a guitar. It fought me every step of the way. I've done LPB before, but with this one, I sanded through in probably 7 or 8 places. It actually became comical before it was all said and done. It was really weird. The face of the headstock bubbled due to contamination. Got it fixed and polished it out really nicely. Pressed in my tuner bushings and the paint around all but 2 of the tuner holes cracked and chipped. I glued the chips back down the best I could and had to sand and polish the CA. I touched up all the sand throughs and chips on the headstock, and you can't really tell, unless you're looking for them. Weird, it looks like there are sand throughs on the edges in the pics, but they're just glares. This project was a mess. Anyway, good thing I was building it for me. This project reminds me why I don't do this stuff for other people. I barely have time to do my own stuff. Never know when you're gonna have one that fights you the whole way. Alder body off ebay. B&B neck I got off ebay CHEAP. Actually a nice neck. Fliski's Auroras, Mastery stuff and a tort guard from Spitfire, which is ridiculously awesome by the way. They're expensive, but they're awesome! My pet peeve is crappy tort, and this ain't it.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
ghobii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool!
I think we've all had builds like that.
GGXY333

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! I think EVERY project I have done was a fight. The effort was well worth it, it's beautiful!
C5000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That came out great!

Does your bridge rock in the thimbles, or do you have it set up different? I just got mine together, and it rocks, therefore doesn't stay in tune, so I need to figure that out.
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pickups did you use? How does it sound?
86runner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update on this one. I had Warmoth build me a B&B chunky neck with a little flame in it and changed the pots out for 250K. Now this thing is fun to play. I like V2 MUCH better than V1. The 1M pots were WAY too bright. Nasal city. I love it now. Jaguar build forthcoming, after I sell my Johnny Marr (which I love, by the way). I just think I can build one cheaper and just as good. Need to put a little money back in the bank, too.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
alpinewhite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan. Where did you get the original neck, in the picture? I know ebay, but what seller? It looks great.
Guitarchitect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic, Alan! I dig the Lake Placid Blue with the tort pickguard!

When are you going to buy a new house to store all those wonderful axes you have acquired over the last year? Laughing

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: