The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipchecked

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Stumbled across this forum looking for some answers...im a guitar restoration newb. I picked up an Ibanez AE30 for uber cheap and for fun thought Id clean it up and get it working again. Was able to do all the electronics and clean up the majority of it. I surprised how much fun I had with the project to the point I also picked up another guitar which is question #2.

My big newby mistake...I was able to fill some of the cracks with crazy glue, and was able to use a razor blade and some fine grit sandpaper to smooth it all out. Now those repaired appear as if the lacquer/coating is gone. If I add guitar polish to the area I can see the paint and the detail and it looks good-but once it dries it goes back to that cloudy worn look. Any ideas on what I can do? I was wondering if perhaps I could apply lacquer or some other coating to the areas in question. Apart from those 2-3 areas on the guitar the rest of it looks very good.

Question #2.... I picked up an old Washburn Acoustic D26 for a good price as it came with the original hardcase. Anyhow, its in good condition with the exception of a replacement bridge installation that had some excess glue. I was hoping I could clean up the glue from the bridge and have it looking like new after a bit of polish. Pictures are below.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai2QbK1UMlfa3b4nqGgc4EmdZ_hNyQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ai2QbK1UMlfa3b4o2dy4jOc8QdziZA

Look forward to reading your thoughts and being part of the community. As mentioned previously, never realized how much fun it is restoring and fixing old guitars. Like a new hobby!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: