The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tone Pots not working on Epiphone Les Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Tone Pots not working on Epiphone Les Paul Reply with quote

Hi all.I've got a sticky problem here.After another ebay purchase ,apart from the worst intonated bridge I've ever seen,the low E was 1/4 inch too flat,I can't get the tone knobs to operate.The volumes works fine but the Tones just do not work.The guy I bought the guitar from had swapped out the stock pickups for Seymour Duncan Blackout active pickups.I opened up the cavity and saw that the pots were still 500k.I duly ordered the correct 25k CTS pots and Sprague Orange Caps and wired everything up.All seemed fine ,but the no tone problem persists.I've checked for continuity with the multi meter and that seems ok.I've also checked the SD wiring diagram and all seems ok.The wiring from the switch has a 4 pin plug for some reason,and I suspect the wires may be out of position there.Has anyone ever had a similar situation?

I'm not much of a Tone pot user,but I don't like having a guitar where the controls don't act like they're supposed to.Thanks.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which wiring diagram are you using?
Did they use a stereo jack?
TomL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
Which wiring diagram are you using?
Did they use a stereo jack?

I'm using the 2 Blackouts,2 Vols,2 Tones 3 way switch diagram and yes it is the correct stereo jack.Like i said everything is as per the diagram.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is wired per diagram, that's weird.
Deoxit?
TomL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
Deoxit?
I am using the wires that came with the guitar but I just had a late night idea pop into my head .The wires from the tone to the volume is a core plus a shield.Maybe the core is broken?I'll change those wires tomorrow and see if that does the trick
TomL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomL wrote:
Kregg wrote:
Deoxit?
I am using the wires that came with the guitar but I just had a late night idea pop into my head .The wires from the tone to the volume is a core plus a shield.Maybe the core is broken?I'll change those wires tomorrow and see if that does the trick

Just changed the wires.Still no tone operation.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks.
I'm having a problem of a different kind with a Strat that changes tone if I tap down on the pick guard, or knobs.
Everything looks as it should and the solder joints are sound.
I played with the lead dress which helped it somewhat, however, I still get a bit of static if I land too heavy on the guard. So, I think it's just the character of no load pots with cloth wire and the way Fender Custom Shop wired & shielded the pick guard.

On yours, I would probably change out the wiring, including the battery snap and bridge ground on the whole circuit.
TomL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
That sucks.
I'm having a problem of a different kind with a Strat that changes tone if I tap down on the pick guard, or knobs.
Everything looks as it should and the solder joints are sound.
I played with the lead dress which helped it somewhat, however, I still get a bit of static if I land too heavy on the guard. So, I think it's just the character of no load pots with cloth wire and the way Fender Custom Shop wired & shielded the pick guard.

On yours, I would probably change out the wiring, including the battery snap and bridge ground on the whole circuit.
I think I've solved the problem.Apparently the problem lies with the capacitors.Apparently with Blackouts the recommended value is .47 mfd,NOT .047mfd as per standard.I've tracked some down on ebay.Not cheap at $11 Australian dollars.Thank you Mr SD you bastard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: