The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

measure twice, cut once or $#&^%@ - UPDATE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good!

One question-- and apologies, because I'm sure you thought of this and checked it out--

Are you sure the power transformer will clear the magnet on that left speaker? Looks like it might be kind of close! (but possibly an optical illusion).

On the next one, I suggest orienting the two speakers the opposite way (top one on the preamp side) Wink
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangelolemon wrote:
looking good!

One question-- and apologies, because I'm sure you thought of this and checked it out--

Are you sure the power transformer will clear the magnet on that left speaker? Looks like it might be kind of close! (but possibly an optical illusion).

On the next one, I suggest orienting the two speakers the opposite way (top one on the preamp side) Wink

Nope, didn't think about that!

The wood cleats holding the speaker baffle are just temporary cleats for the meantime. Just needed them to stage these pictures.

Now the speakers, yup that's a problem. and worse yet, these alnico speakers have tall "spider" frame. Routing another speaker baffle with mirror position speaker cut outs of the original is no problem. I have plenty of left over plywood. But grill is another $15. Confused

So in the meantime, its an extension speaker cabinet. Laughing
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un staple the grill cloth, turn the baffle around and re staple the cloth.
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:
Un staple the grill cloth, turn the baffle around and re staple the cloth.
Good solution but that would be the third installation on this grill and its getting fragile. Then speaker baffle has a 1/4" trim around the perimeter so that would have to be remove and installed on the back.

Easier to build another speaker baffle. Wink
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes removing the pot cover from the back of the AlNiCo magnet will give you enough clearance.

On the original tweed 5E7 bandmasters, the top speaker (of the three) had its cover removed, while the other two were left in place. This was to clear the choke and OT.

Might be worth a shot? Maybe you get lucky?

Sorry to be the source of bad news!

You'll get it sorted!
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what this project feels like :

... opening can of worms. Laughing

tangelolemon wrote:
Sorry to be the source of bad news!
Actually I find it really funny. This "Bassman" is actually maybe an 3/4" depth deeper than an original Bassman.

On the Weber board, someone did have to change his alnico speaker to clear the amp's transformer that's why I thought I may face the same problem. Yeah, maybe removing the speaker's magnet cover will help in the clearance.

I'm working on a second combo enclosure (not a Bassmna) and I'm already seeing one possible problem. Stay tune. Shocked
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 12' and 1 10' is a great combination. That would resolve the space issues and gives a bit different sound. BTW, I love those red alnico Tone Tubby's.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its now an 2x12" extension cabinet. Laughing

ajeffcote wrote:
.... BTW, I love those red alnico Tone Tubby's.
You mean those over-rated, over hyped guitar speakers that cost an arm and a leg? Mad

They only cost me a leg, got each either off Craiglist and Reverb that were "affordable" deals. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: