The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kemper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twangster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawl , will check it out- I get great results with my Award JD 10 into the Manley Voxbox , just looking for more flexibilty .

The power chord stuff on this is all JD 10. The solo is AC15 reissue with a Rat in front of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRpR_jbiHs

John, bad behavior on MF's part Mad
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travst wrote:
And... MF sent me a backorder email and went ahead and charged my card. Unbelievable. They've pulled this on me five or six times in the past and that's the reason I rarely shop with them.

ajeffcotet wrote:
Musicians Friend ain't so friendly anymore. Those initials, MF, bring another name to mind.
I use Sweetwater now. Great service! Free candy! My own sales rep even calls me now and then.

Here's my Musician Friend rant.

I too order from Sweetwater. I'd would order from my local Guitar Center for items they don't stock but its 35 miles away.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiver me timbers, lads.... I must eat some crow. To my surprise, I got a shipping notice and tracking number from MF last night and the Kemper is on the way. I agree with what's been said about Sweetwater. Unless something is a helluva deal, I buy from Sweetwater and get the good service and two-year warranty.

Mark, I still have the JD-10 that I bought years ago on your advice. It works very well indeed. I'm also looking for some variety and the opportunity to clear out some amps to provide more room in my studio (basement Laughing ).
Carp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I've been playing a Kemper exclusively for about a year now and it's the best gear purchase I've ever made.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

The Kemper is only as good as the profiles you're using. There are a ridiculous amount of profiles available--both free and commercial--and there is a huge variety in quality, style, etc. Most of what I use comes from either Michael Britt or The Amp Factory, but obviously tastes vary greatly.

I think that some of the negative Kemper review out there are because they played crappy profiles.

Also, how are you going to be using it? Direct, guitar cab, FRFR monitor. . . ?
Travst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in, Carp. I received the amp a couple of hours ago and dived in. I built an FRFR cab for keys a while back with a bass driver, mid driver, and horn. It has a 3-way crossover, all Eminence gear. The cab is ported, and I'm running it with a RAMSA WP1200 power amp. I'm very, very impressed. Granted, it's an initial response, but I know pretty quickly whether I like something.

I did a lot of reading over at the Kemper forums and hear the same point that you made about the quality of profiles. I watched a few videos on making them and it looks like good prep work like quality mics and positioning are key. I'm going to take my time and profile my amps well before I sell any of them. I'm not sure that I'll sell my Red Plate or my Reverberocket, but the others can go if the Kemper works out. Seems to me that the guitar used during profiling would make a difference, but that may be incorrect.

I signed up at Britt's site and got his free sample pack. I've picked out a couple of packs that I want and I'll check out the Amp Factory.
Carp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer the FRFR approach because I like to hear the same thing as the audience. But a lot of guys that are used to standing in front of a Marshall or something can't get past the difference.

The other advantage of FRFR is the cab profiling that gives you more flexibility and variety.

The thing that blew me away the most with the Kemper is how well it responds to playing dynamics and tone/volume controls on the guitar. With the right profile you can go from completely clean to distortion just using the guitar's volume knob.

Other gear can capture the sound of a good amp, but to me at least the Kemper actually feels like I'm playing a tube amp.
Travst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd try the rig with my Red Plate cab just for grins, but am happy with the FRFR cab. I discovered the pure cab function that had been turned off, so now my tones are a lot more dynamic.

I discovered how to use an expression pedal for both wah and volume, so I ordered a Mission pedal to plug in for those duties. The remote is very well thought out and simple to master. It's nice to have a single pedal setup that's easy to use since the two MIDI pedalboards that I tried were too complex for me. I felt like I was tap dancing when using them.
twangster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ! Have you tried it direct into your recording rig in stereo?
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twangster wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRpR_jbiHs

Always liked your dumpster dive LP, sounds great. Cool
Travst

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twangster wrote:
Cool ! Have you tried it direct into your recording rig in stereo?

Not yet. We are undergoing remodeling and my gear is scattered all over the house. The upside is that my music room is going to be very comfortable. I had a friend build me a custom desk that is working very well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: