The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Line voltage killing tube amps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Line voltage killing tube amps? Reply with quote

GRRRRR! My Citation II power amp took a dump again yesterday. Rebuilt but troublesome, I have had recent issues with blowing fuses and weird stuff. Yesterday literal fireworks and audible bangs. Pulled it apart and one KT88 looks like a bomb went off underneath, took out grid resistors, screen resistors, burnt wiring an inch up the line from each pin...holy crap.

As I have said here before my line voltage is 125 often brushing up against 126 VAC. This old stuff was made for 115-117 VAC and by the time it runs through the trannys etc. you are looking at voltages quite a bit higher than the original design. I rarely power up any other tube stuff here, most of the time gigs in bars etc. and no problems, but the old Silvertone is more forgiving I guess. My power company says 125 is normal and by regs they can go up to 126. Definitely time for a Variac. Is this line voltage now common across the US??
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, pretty normal stuff.

Though a good KT88 should be able to take a 5% margin over spec.
Kregg

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an area that seems to eat electronic devices, including my whole house stereo (now obsolete Wink ) and two of my HVAC circuit boards.
I run my good stuff through a Richard Gray's line conditioner, but, there are cheaper ways to go about it.
There are probably ways to regulate voltage at the meter, but, it's probably very expensive and a strong enough power surge can still knock through panels.
RandyM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run vintage tube stereo gear on a Variac.
66rdster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran into the problem of high mains voltage at my house too. I found an article at Geofx that addresses the issue. I ended up building the adapter described in the article and it works great. Much cheaper than a Variac or other devises. Here's a link to the article. Maybe its something that would work for you too.
Mike

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/vintvolt/vintvolt.htm
tab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66rdster wrote:
I've ran into the problem of high mains voltage at my house too. I found an article at Geofx that addresses the issue. I ended up building the adapter described in the article and it works great. Much cheaper than a Variac or other devises. Here's a link to the article. Maybe its something that would work for you too.
Mike

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/vintvolt/vintvolt.htm

No vintage amps here but I have friends that have a few and like the simple fix. Thanks for the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: