The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power conditioner question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Power conditioner question Reply with quote

Do the modern power "conditioners" like Fuhrman etc. do anything to regulate or reduce the line voltage or do you need a Variac for that? I have my old tube amp back after blowing it up, again, and want to limit the line voltage to 117-120 VAC. It is now like 125-126, too hot for these old amps.
RandyM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For vintage tube gear I ALWAYS use a variac.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to also suggest a line-interactive UPS as an alternative, but they are much more expensive that a variac.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather some of them guarantee a steady 120V.

Somebody recommended this . . .

http://www.altex.com/%2FTripp-Lite-1200-Watt-Line-Conditioner-AVR-System-LC-1200-P139529.aspx

I swear I saw a gadget recently specifically for guitar amps, with somewhat variable output, but can't find it anywhere.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
I gather some of them guarantee a steady 120V.

Somebody recommended this . . .

http://www.altex.com/%2FTripp-Lite-1200-Watt-Line-Conditioner-AVR-System-LC-1200-P139529.aspx

I swear I saw a gadget recently specifically for guitar amps, with somewhat variable output, but can't find it anywhere.

Yes, the above is essentially the voltage regulation part of, but not all of the line-interactive circuitry of a UPS without the battery backup. Working in IT, this is something that I consider absolutely invaluable, especially in situations where a client has an emergency generator, because they do not deliver a smooth sine wave for AC power. A full line-interactive UPS not only guarantees exactly 120V, but also an exact 60Hz sine wave. I'm almost positive the above item you referenced does not correct for the frequency of the incoming power -- just the voltage.
RandyM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a variac so I can bring power up slowly. With vintage tube audio gear it can prevent meltdowns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: