The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cab buzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Cab buzz Reply with quote

I just noticed after turning it up past 12 I get some nasty cab buzz but only when a play an A chord some times on a B and G when Palm muting on the distortion red channel of my rectifier 112 cab. I checked the screws the were all tight.
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even happens when the amp head is not on the cab.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will help, but I have a little cheap practice amp that vibrated like that on the low notes. I pulled the grille off and stuffed foam into every gap and crevice. It took a couple of tries, but it worked.
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be coming from the left side of the speaker. When I put my foot on the faceplate on the front it deadened most of the noise tough
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the speaker isn't torqued equally at each bolt. I've also run across at least one speaker that had to be torqued down in a particular way. It was as it were cupped a bit and the bolts/screws had to be tightened at the points where the speaker touched the wood first. Then, the opposite sides had a chance to flatten to the wood before being screwed down.
BCbassman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth:
Don't forget to tighten any handles on the cabinet!

But its probably the speaker mounting bolts or an uneven mounting on the front baffle board.
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a bassist, weird buzzez and chirping vibrations drive me insane! INSANE! MY LIVING HELL!

all good tips above and all have given me solutions.

if not .....

ive deconstructed cabs and reassembled with bigger, deeper and tighter grabbing screws, reassembled with liquid nails in the joints, replaced grills, reseated speakers with new cork, rubber, felt or foam rings, removed nameplates or cosmetics, replaced handles and corners, and as a last resort, just started driving drywall screws into joints to try and shure them up.

... and still failed. ha! i chased everyone out of the studio one day with a sledge hammer when they tried to stop me from taking it to a hartke transport 410 cab. i won. splinters. they recorded me smashin it to bits ... hilarious.

but im much better today. Rolling Eyes
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered another an identical cab from sweetwater....same results just on different notes.

I just narrowed it down to the back panel.
WildIowa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try adding a crossbrace on the back panel, literally glue/screw a 1"x2" strip vertically or horizontally across the back panel or maybe even corner to corner at 45 degrees. Some higher end cabs and old vintage EV or Altec PA stuff have the crossbraces inside the cab from top to bottom or side to side.
Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
i chased everyone out of the studio one day with a sledge hammer when they tried to stop me from taking it to a hartke transport 410 cab. i won. splinters. they recorded me smashin it to bits ... hilarious. Rolling Eyes

The impact-based micro-adjustment device strikes again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: