The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXR 78 Badass likes/dislikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulture

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: MXR 78 Badass likes/dislikes Reply with quote

Lets have it. Almost pulled the trigger on when they first came out. Looking for something to add to my clean channel of my tube amps.

Pretty cheap nowadays. Worth the $60?
vulture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one for $40, but def. woth the $60 these are going for.

And def. lives up to its name.

Very very good tube driven sound. Perfect for low level recording IMO. Tone knob goes from super dark to super bright, quite the range, its sweet spot range is around 10 o'clock till about 3 o'clock.

Played buckers, singles, P90's, lipstick, filtertrons etc. All sound good with the lipsticks driving a bit weak on the weaker side. The gain knob goes from almost clean to full on thick distortion. Its graduates fairly evenly through out range, but really kicks in about 4-6'oclock position. Overall it tends to offer more of a ovdriven sound, very transparent until the gain gets pushed than its almost in a modded Boss DS-1, or thick vintage Rat territory.

Pushed it through my old Alamo, Modded 5e3 and VIntage club 30. It sounds fantastic on all three, particular the ALamo and the 5e3 when the 6v6's are pushed.

Crunch buttton opens it up a bit, but sounds a tad compressed to my ears. Not a fan of the physical switch itself, but hay its $40.
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. I ended up with a Boss Metal Zone in a trade and thought it was ok. I'm modding it to smooth it out to keep on my pedalboard. It wasn't worth the effort of selling it, but worth a few bucks for caps and resistors to change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: