The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing tuners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greysun

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Installing tuners Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Neck is done (or at least as done as its gonna get), but now I have to install the tuners.

It looks like they're bigger than the hole SLIGHTLY, but they're ribbed (for her pleasure BADOOM BOOM *ching* - sorry, I'm over caffeinated this morning), so I think I'm supposed to use a rubber mallet and gently pound them in, right?

Can anyone verify this for me? The headstock is painted, so I don't wanna mess anything up after I've come this far...

They are vintage size tuner holes and vintage size tuners. It looks like they're meant to be slightly big and ridged to stay in place, but I make no assumptions with this stuffe anymore... It's gotten me in trouble in the past. Wink

Thanks in advance!
ghobii

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a C-clamp to press them in. Obviously, but a block of wood or something on the back of the headstock to protect it.
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to push them in with a bit of force... a "nudge", if you will Wink

If you are driving them in with a mallet, you are lucky not to have split a headstock yet.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to hand press in the tuners.

I can't say how tight you have the tuner holes but that one image in the book "How To Assemble a Solid Body Electric Guitar" how the peghead split from a hammered in tuning nut bothers me. Shocked

If a light tap works I think you're o-kay but if it take more effort I'd would drill out with the next drill bit size. Even if you have to go to your local hardware shop for the next size or even next two or three sizes, its better to be safe than sorry.

I'd do a sanding chamfer before drilling so you don't chip your finish.

Hope others chime in for their suggestions.

[ edit note as of typing my post ] Good, two of you responded. Wink
mordechai

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to add to what Roland said...

If you decide to drill the headstock to make the holes bigger, run the drill in reverse. This keeps the bit from pulling you into the hole and probably causing some nasty chips and dings.
greysun

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I came to the forum first, Wink

I was able to get them pushed in without pounding the mallet (though I did use the mallet to push them in... Even my calloused drummer/guitar player fingers just couldnt handle it).

I loved when one of the tuner pegs fell out of the bag right on the edge of the fret board and caused a wonderful bubble under the finish. That was my favorite part... Ugh, is there anything that can just go right with this build?!?!? I'll live...

Nw I just have to line them up and screw them in on the back. GOOD TIMES! This project is winding down. Can't wait to play this puppy...

Thanks for the tips guys!
aquietcabin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a reamer for like $8 at farm and fleet. It's great for opening up tuner holes.

Guitars wrote:
Amen Brother.... Life is too short to sand more than one needs to. .
madmike

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not force it in with more than 3 or 4, ginger taps with a mallet. If you force it too hard, you will split the headstock.

Ive opened holes up a few rch's with a fine round hand wrasp.
ripit007

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to enlarge holes just a little bit, try a pencil wrapped with a piece of 80 grit sandpaper. Works fine and less of a chance of ruining the headstock finish.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
maddog444

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the tapered reamer. I wouldn't even want to think about cracking the headsock... OUCH! Cool
marksound

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip.

When drilling for the tuner mounting screws, use a drill bit one size larger. These screws don't do anything but keep the tuners aligned and in place, so they don't need a lot of torque. If the holes end up too big for the threads to bite, put a drop of Titebond on them and install. They won't fall out but will be easy to remove.

I do this every time and have yet to break off a screw.
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Here's a tip.

When drilling for the tuner mounting screws, use a drill bit one size larger. These screws don't do anything but keep the tuners aligned and in place, so they don't need a lot of torque. If the holes end up too big for the threads to bite, put a drop of Titebond on them and install. They won't fall out but will be easy to remove.

Yes!

and the screws that come with most tuners are absolute garbage. They will snap right off with very little torque.
RandyM

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapered reamer
madmike

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solderjunkie wrote:
marksound wrote:
Here's a tip.

Yes!

and the screws that come with most tuners are absolute garbage. They will snap right off with very little torque.

yeah ... i've done this. elcrapo!
tab

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into some tuner holes that were close, but I knew there was no way I could get them in without removing a little wood.

I've rolled up a little sand paper and let it expand inside the tuner hole... then sand out a little wood\finish etc and the tuners will press in fine at that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: