The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAD! Vox AC15VR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin-san

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: NAD! Vox AC15VR Reply with quote

I played hookey from work today to await the arrival of my new "little" amp, the Vox AC15VR. I waited 'til I played it for a couple hours to post judgment.

I got rid of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and my Roland JC-120 when I moved into an apartment a couple years ago 'cause I couldn't turn them past 3 with out shaking stuff off the walls. I've been noodling on a Roland Cube 30 and a Vibro Champ XD for a couple years and they've been ok but not great.

I've owned the Blackheart Little Giant and sold it ... too loud for an apt at night although it sounded great. I went to GC to try a couple small tube amps, mainly the Blues Jr and the Class 5, and even checked out an Egnater Rebel 20 with the output attenuator (20-1 watts) and the Tweaker. Nothing really struck me.

And then I got the Vox AC4TV8 ... love it but it's very limited (although it's still a keeper) so I started checking out other Vox amps. Didn't like the Valvetronix amps. Couldn't find a Pathfinder local to try out and wasn't really that interested anyway.

I stumbled across reviews of the VR series and, after a couple days of reading, ordered one without trying it out. So far I'm glad I did. Here is the 10 minute youtube review that sold me. It's not even in English but I love this guy's reviews and you general idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofk2VLnMSXI

The clean channel is fantastic. Definitely very "Voxy" with that sparkle and jangle and it takes my pedals well. It has 2 overdrives ... OD1 is classic OD and sounds a lot like the AC4TV when cranked. OD2 is more modern although I haven't played around with it much.

The two complaints online have been weak reverb and a pause when switching channels. The reverb is a bit weak but I play pretty dry most of the time and set at around 12:00 on the AC15VR is fine with me. There IS a slight pause when switching channels but I'm not playing out so that's also fine with me and I'll be using the normal channel most of the time with my pedal board anyway.

So, all in all, for $379 and another $30 for a footswitch I'm quite pleased with this amp. It is the most "tube-like" SS hybrid amp I've played - even more so when I front it with my WIIO pedal. It can get loud even though it's only 15 watts RMS and it sounds great at apartment levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: