The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single coil sized pickups for quasi metal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Single coil sized pickups for quasi metal? Reply with quote

I have and have had a bunch of guitars with vintage-y, lower output pickups-- Classic 57/57+ set, Duncan Slash Alnico II Sig set, TV Jones Classic Plus, Fralin PAF's, Bare Knuckle Mules, etc. and I'm certain that's what I like most of the time, but I recently put a set of 90's Barden HB's into a partscaster that sounds so awesome it's pretty much the first guitar I reach for now. The pups are decidedly high gain.

I came across a great deal on a WCR Iron Man and have a TremKing TK-1 sitting around, so I'm setting out to make a quasi-metal SSH strat. Any suggestions for single coil sized pups to balance out the Iron Man (22k!)?

I am not any sort of metal guitarist, but I do enjoy faking it in short bursts. I do like to play heavier stuff from time to time though and though I love the sound of PAF-type pups through some OD pushing an amp, I do dig that compressed, heavy, high bandwidth modern metal sound for some stuff and it'd be really handy to have.

Thanks!
Rock-On!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Rails...
http://www.themusicden.com/p-241230-seymour-duncan-shr1bw-hot-rails-strat-bridge-pickup-white.aspx?affiliateid=10050&]
Hot rails wrote:
application: High output single-coil-size "rails" humbucker. Great for classic rock, garage, punk, heavy rock, thrash, classic metal and nu-metal.
players: Janick Gers & Dave Murray / Iron Maiden, Troy VanLeeuwen & Josh Homme / Queens of the Stone Age, Greg Camp / Smashmouth, Jim Wilson / Rollins Band

shattered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimarzio has some stacked humbuckers with pretty high resistance. I think the HS3's resistance is pretty close to what you're looking for, and you can wire it with a push-pull pot for single coil.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-On!! wrote:
Hot Rails...
http://www.themusicden.com/p-241230-seymour-duncan-shr1bw-hot-rails-strat-bridge-pickup-white.aspx?affiliateid=10050&]
Hot rails wrote:
application: High output single-coil-size "rails" humbucker. Great for classic rock, garage, punk, heavy rock, thrash, classic metal and nu-metal.
players: Janick Gers & Dave Murray / Iron Maiden, Troy VanLeeuwen & Josh Homme / Queens of the Stone Age, Greg Camp / Smashmouth, Jim Wilson / Rollins Band

Thanks-- I have Barden Strat Deluxes in a partscaster already-- I figure they'd probably be pretty similar (?), but maybe not. The Barden strat pups have noticably less output and are decidedly janglier/twangier than the HB's.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shattered wrote:
Dimarzio has some stacked humbuckers with pretty high resistance. I think the HS3's resistance is pretty close to what you're looking for, and you can wire it with a push-pull pot for single coil.

Cool-- thanks. That's an interesting idea too as the dude who sold me the WCR cheap also threw in a SD Triple shot ring for it for $5. It'd be neat to have lots of pickup options...

but is "lots of pickup options" metal or not?
shattered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kojdogg wrote:

I couldn't tell you one way or the other, but if it's a style you're dabbling in from time to time, it gives you some flexibility.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shattered wrote:
kojdogg wrote:

I couldn't tell you one way or the other, but if it's a style you're dabbling in from time to time, it gives you some flexibility.

Yeah I was just trying to start a potentially mildly amusing "METAL" vs. "NOT METAL" referendum, however I seem to have FAIL Embarassed Laughing
shattered

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I dig it!

Falling off the stage because you had too much to drink - Metal
Falling off the stage because you tripped over your Evian bottle - Not Metal

Court-ordered rehab for heroin addiction - Metal
Court-ordered driving school for driving without a seatbelt - Not Metal

Wearing leather chaps and a Soviet army officer's hat onstage - Metal
Wearing leather chaps and a Soviet army officer's hat to the mall - Not Metal
kojdogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Uh.... that's what she said?

Ah I suck at metal...

wait-- that's what she said!
ripit007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Chopper. I have one in the neck position of an old Kramer. Sounds great overdriven. Articulate and maintains good mids and low end. I have it setup with A push/pull volume pot so it can be split.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP184-Chopper-Pickup?sku=302460

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool-- thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for clips of those. I'm also curious about the YJM's solely because I really like the idea of having Yngwie pickups in this thing Very Happy
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kojdogg wrote:
Cool-- thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for clips of those. I'm also curious about the YJM's solely because I really like the idea of having Yngwie pickups in this thing Very Happy

You know...I've been tempted to get a set of YJM pups too. Seems like a cool ooption for higher gail, single coil tones without the noise. Rail pups are cool, but sometimes they just sound too much like full-sized humbuckers.
smoss469

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a nice distorted tone out of my Strat w/Lace Sensor Hot Golds. It's not full on thrash by any means but it does a little more than Ramones level punk distortion.

Never tried them with a distortion DESIGNED for Metal yet, so who knows they might even do that. Just don't have a metal distortion pedal available to give it a whirl.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoss469 wrote:
I can get a nice distorted tone out of my Strat w/Lace Sensor Hot Golds. It's not full on thrash by any means but it does a little more than Ramones level punk distortion.

Never tried them with a distortion DESIGNED for Metal yet, so who knows they might even do that. Just don't have a metal distortion pedal available to give it a whirl.

Yeah, I guess the goal here isn't a true metal guitar-- I dislike double locking trems, pointy horns, etc., but rather the indie rock version of it. I've tried Lace Sensors (red though, which are hotter) and I don't think that's what I'm looking for, but thanks for the rec! I want the tonal equivalent of an 80's hair metal man perm I think.
CGHGUITARS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a hot rails in my Strat for about 15 years. the Strat was my only guitar, and I was playing a lot of varied style covers at the time. The Hot Rails has HUGE output, and will undoubtedly get the sound you're looking for as long as the amp or pedal is appropriate. The downside, which may not matter much for the sound you're after, is tonal balance and harmonic content, which, IMHO are really poor. It will crank, though.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: