The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp went tits up, easy fix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Amp went tits up, easy fix? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm not good with the tech side of things, electronics and amps and stuff, so i could really use some help here. I pulled out my amp the other week, which has not been used very much AT ALL since I've had it, bought it new. Its a blackheart 1x12 combo tube amp (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675).

So without too many hours on it, it just fades out while i'm playing it, no sound anymore at all. I don't know what to do. Could it be a tube just went out?

I appreciate your insights.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with tubes...Dean
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Strat wrote:

+1
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Strat wrote:
... and especial the tubes inside your Black Heart amp. Laughing
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll look into that. just seemed so weird that they would go out when it hasn't had a lot of hours played on it.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai wrote:
i'll look into that. just seemed so weird that they would go out when it hasn't had a lot of hours played on it.

Kind of like buying a new printer and the ink cartridges are only 1/3 of the way filled! Evil or Very Mad
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:
Jai wrote:

Kind of like buying a new printer and the ink cartridges are only 1/3 of the way filled! Evil or Very Mad

Been there, done that too!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
a.miller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the fuse. Then the tubes.
RandyM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.miller wrote:
Start with the fuse. Then the tubes.

A fuse would mean the problem is there all the time, he said the sounds fades while he's playing it.
loapathy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on tubes. Since it faded out, I'd guess preamp tubes. In my experience, output tubes when they start failing don't fade out very quickly, just either lose volume and get muddy, or just out and out pop and then you've got nothing.

I'm not familiar with the combo--can you see the tubes while playing it? If so, play it and watch the tubes. Any color changes?

Also, depending on how long it was sitting around unplayed before you bought it, and how the components were sitting before it was built, etc., it might be filter capacitors. Unlikely, though.
Jai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Still haven't looked into this one yet, kinda down on my list all of a sudden. Good to have this thread as reference when I'm able to figure it out. When it went out, it faded out, then there is absolutely NO output anymore. since it doesn't have a lot of playing time on it since i bought it brand new, it certainly DOES have many hours just sitting around in a garage or storage unit or bedroom. not sure if that means anything. anyway, when i get it fixed, i'll post the results. Cool
moogstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my epi jr head was fine for months then started to fade in and out. I checked the tubes were still glowing and found that one f tubes was fading in and out as well. I thought it was a bad tube at first then noticed a fuse holder was slightly broken and therefore the fuse would slide in and out of contact causing a loss of power and therfore no sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: