The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad hum and shock in a twin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Bad hum and shock in a twin Reply with quote

So we had a bad hum when not touching the strings of the guit plugged into a Fender twin tonight and mild shocks when touching lips to mic, with hands on strings.

We isolated the problem to the amp by swapping it out with another amp.

Is this a 'straight to the service center' issue, or are there some easy things I can look for?

Thanks.
74 Strat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS it a vintage Twin? Does it still have the 2 prong cord? I had a 1961 Ampeg Reverberocket and I got violently shocked one day when I touched my mouth to a mic. I ended up putting in a 3 prong to stop it from happening. I also noticed that the level of hum would change depending on the outlet used. Try a different wall outlet...Dean
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's an issue involving the 2-prong cord or an incorrect conversion to 3-prong. I'd try flipping the direction of the cord at the wall outlet first. If that reduces hum and doesn't shock you after, it's probably the culprit.
tnt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a modern twin 2004-05 ish... - three prong plug.

It's plugged into a power strip, then into a correctly grounded wall outlet. which I thought the strip might be the problem. I didn't have my little yellow tester thing with me, but we plugged another amp into the same exact outlet on the strip and the problem went away.

Could it be just a lose ground connection between the cord and the amp?

Is that easily handled? I'm not comfortable opening up amps, but if it's outside of the guts, maybe I can fix it.
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be inside the chassis but it could be as simple as the ground wire coming loose from the screw that holds it to the chassis.
tnt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solemn13 wrote:
It would be inside the chassis but it could be as simple as the ground wire coming loose from the screw that holds it to the chassis.

So, just don't touch the caps or anything....right?
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, stay away from all the electronics and just peek at the cord coming into the amp.
tnt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: