The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soldering Iron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Soldering Iron Reply with quote

I don't have one and am about to get one so I can start crackin into some electronics. My question is - What do I need to look for? I know there're millions of these things out there and they're CHEAP but what are yall's suggestions? Thanks guys

Grab yo git-fiddle.
crimsonkings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 5watt one and it works fine but if i was getting one again i would have gotten a half decent with more power and a built in stand. The only problem i have with mine is that it's takes too long to make the solder flow you want to have it heat up quick so you spend as little time working on your electronics so it does not damage them.

Also you may want to look in to different tip heads for your soldering iron. But they are easy to get and a come in packs of different shapes and sizes but to be honest i've only ever used the one that was on my as standard.

So get one from like 20-40w and is a built in station with the holder and sponge cleaner, should last you a life time of work really Very Happy
Travst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting a solder station. I moved up from a cheap iron to a good station a couple of years ago after Tom recommended one. The difference is very noticable. Most stations have a knob to adjust the heat, a sponge or similar to clean the tip, and a holder. Type "solder station" on Amazon and check out a ton of them.
rdkienle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relatively cheap wand type solder iron works fine. Weller or Hakko are relatively cheap and available. 15W-30W is good for guitar electronics. I have several different sizes - 15W, 25W, 40W and 60W. I have also tried and have a few of the pistol type/trigger solder guns. I have never been able to get those to work.

I too recently upgraded to a soldering station. I picked up a Hakko 936 gor $75 at Frys Electronics. The advantage is you can adjust the wattage and temperature so it always appropriate for the task. It is also instantly hot. No waiting for the iron to heat up. The one I got also has changeable tips on the iron so again I can always use the right tip for the task.

RK
86runner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yall. This is exactly what I needed.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
ripit007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently picked up one of these after someones recommendation. I likeee. they get you a little on shipping though Confused

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100&utm_source=Flyer&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=374-100&utm_campaign=%20Flyer_10B

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
86runner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a winner to me. Thanks! Cool

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdkienle wrote:
... I too recently upgraded to a soldering station. I picked up a Hakko 936 gor $75 at Frys Electronics. ...

I've been using my 936 for about 12 years now and it has never skipped a beat and is a pleasure to use. Keep your tips clean and tinned and they will last for ... well ... at least 12 years and going for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: